Assume this was scam call?

Hi guys, is this scam call familiar? I've googled as my anxiety is on overdrive but can't see it mentioned.

Had call on landlines which is rarely used, automated message saying that this is security call, 2 suspicious transactions on your card this morning for 7k and 2k, press 1 to confirm or 2 to speak to operator" of course i immediatly hung up, and called my own bank to check all fine.

As there was firstly no person named that the supposed message was for, plus crucially no named bank or card issuer just "your card" I'm sure it was a scam, but there are others in the house and the fact I can only see scams listed where people claim to be your actual bank, has anyone else had this or heard of it please? Would appreciate thoughts

Comments

• What number was the call from?

Most likely a scam but if anyone is concerned they should do what you did and call their bank(s) using the official number and check. 
  • PinkUnicorn8
    PinkUnicorn8 Posts: 14
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 February 2023 at 10:50AM
    Thank you for replying, I dialled 1471 but nothing listed, I went to my call company and activated their shield that blocks automated calls etc, I was bit concerned it could be for another family member tho, don't want to panic anyone! Surely if it was legit it would say the name of the bank or card issuer and who the call was for? Seems odd nothing comes up when googled - when my own bank genuinely queried a transaction they called on my mobile and asked me to call them on the number on my card but named me, the bank and details of the transaction including time, amount, retailer etc in the call
  • Until proven otherwise, I always assume a call from a number I don't recognise or not in my phonebook/contacts, is either a scam or "marketing".
  • Yes I agree totally, I treat everything as a scam unless I know different, especially when I don't give landline number only mobile usually, lack of identifying bank or customer name was red flag. Such a nasty scam too as such a high amount of money could panic somebody into pressing 2
  • Hi guys, is this scam call familiar? I've googled as my anxiety is on overdrive but can't see it mentioned.

Had call on landlines which is rarely used, automated message saying that this is security call, 2 suspicious transactions on your card this morning for 7k and 2k, press 1 to confirm or 2 to speak to operator" of course i immediatly hung up, and called my own bank to check all fine.

As there was firstly no person named that the supposed message was for, plus crucially no named bank or card issuer just "your card" I'm sure it was a scam, but there are others in the house and the fact I can only see scams listed where people claim to be your actual bank, has anyone else had this or heard of it please? Would appreciate thoughts
    Yes it is a scam i had one too, hung up, as said no name or bank and as i have other people in house this was a red flag.
  • I get that one regularly. They always use a fictitious phone number that's different every time they phone me.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,452
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Until proven otherwise, I always assume a call from a number I don't recognise or not in my phonebook/contacts, is either a scam or "marketing".
    Some GP surgeries use "untraceable" phone numbers.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,895
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Very common scam, unfortunately.  If you had pressed button 2 to speak to an 'operator' it is possible that they would have tried to get you to transfer your money to a 'safe account' that they would set up for you.....

Sadly, people are still falling for it.

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Unknown or number withheld I treat as a scam unless I can prove otherwise, my bank tells me they will never call me

I was a little shocked today on the phone with Co-op bank, I rang them on their listed number. I was proving my ID and they asked for my memorable word, I replied are you really allowed to ask that, shouldn't you be asking something like 2nd 4th and 5th character, she replied no I need the word 
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,895
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 February 2023 at 8:44AM
    Recently changed our ancient landline 'phones to a new Panasonic set.  Have to say that the call blocker system is excellent - callers in our phone book get straight through, but 'unknown callers' are directed to press an extra button to be connected.  Clearly not a problem for genuine callers, but not had a single one of those annoying pre-recorded scam calls.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback