Warm Home Discount: Minister promises to look at complaints after MSE investigation

Comments

• Mstty
    Mstty Forumite Posts: 4,209
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    leitmotif said:
    I'm disabled, on a low income and can't work away from home, so I work at home and have to heat my house throughout the day in the winter rather than sit in a warm office that someone else is paying to heat. But because my small flat is deemed not high cost to heat, I'm no longer eligible for the WHD.

I do understand that it would be hard to make time spent at home versus time spent away from home a factor, but they could infer from the fact that someone's on PIP that their costs are likely higher.
    Most find that the costs of getting to and from work and the associated "things you buy whilst at work" far outweigh the cost of heating working from home. As well as the entitled extra tax relief for working from home.
  • Sapcotegirl
    Sapcotegirl Forumite Posts: 4
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    I called the helpline to dispute the fact that in the last few years I’ve been eligible for this, and with no change to my circumstances or finances, I had been dropped from the eligibility list.
    When they checked up, they said I WAS indeed eligible and they would action it, but I have no proof of the call and nothing to back it up.

And with the Bulb-to-Octopus takeover, I’ve got no way of arguing  with anybody, especially as this payment is triggered from a government department that is now no longer receiving calls ☹️

That £150 was so badly needed to help keep myself, my 2 children and this house warm 🥹
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Forumite Posts: 6,710
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I called the helpline to dispute the fact that in the last few years I’ve been eligible for this, and with no change to my circumstances or finances, I had been dropped from the eligibility list.
    When they checked up, they said I WAS indeed eligible and they would action it, but I have no proof of the call and nothing to back it up.

And with the Bulb-to-Octopus takeover, I’ve got no way of arguing  with anybody, especially as this payment is triggered from a government department that is now no longer receiving calls ☹️

That £150 was so badly needed to help keep myself, my 2 children and this house warm 🥹
    Just so you know, the whole eligibility criteria have changed so previous eligibility doesn't mean anything under the new scheme.

Some people have had success holding on the line even though it sounds like it's closed - possibly worth a try phoning again to chase up.

(Bulb to Octopus doesn't make a difference here - if your supplier hasn't been told to pay you then their hands are tied, there's nothing they can do.)
  • Pompey61
    Pompey61 Forumite Posts: 3
    First Post
    My 94 yr old Mum (in receipt of pension credit)cannot claim as she is private tenant with electric coin meter for electric, no direct relationship with electric supplier of building. electric bill in landlords name. Her flat is part of old property with original single glazed windows. She is exactly the sort of recipient who should receive the discount (her DWP letter puts her in core 2 each year) but because of the ridiculous rule regarding her name needing to be on the electric bill she cannot receive it. She is the only tenant with a gas supply which is billed directly to her in her name but because discount only applicable via electric supply she cannot claim. Gas supplier not same as landlords electric supplier. Why can't the discount be claimed from the gas supplier if part of the scheme.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Forumite Posts: 7,206
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 April at 8:47AM
    Mstty said:
    leitmotif said:
    I'm disabled, on a low income and can't work away from home, so I work at home and have to heat my house throughout the day in the winter rather than sit in a warm office that someone else is paying to heat. But because my small flat is deemed not high cost to heat, I'm no longer eligible for the WHD.

I do understand that it would be hard to make time spent at home versus time spent away from home a factor, but they could infer from the fact that someone's on PIP that their costs are likely higher.
    Most find that the costs of getting to and from work and the associated "things you buy whilst at work" far outweigh the cost of heating working from home. As well as the entitled extra tax relief for working from home.
    The WFH tax relief is not always that simple, it requires you to be based at home. The guidelines are very specific "You cannot claim tax relief if you choose to work from home.".

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home
  • siverbuthappy
    siverbuthappy Forumite Posts: 2
    First Post
    I received a letter about the warm home discount asking me to ring them.
    When I rang they asked me some questions and then told me that they had approved me to receive it. They said they would send the relevant information to my energy company. When the money didn’t arrive in my electric account I rang and was told I needed to contact the warm home discount team. Sadly when I did there was just a message on it saying the warm home discount scheme had now closed and to contact your supplier. No matter who I try to contact no one seems to know how I trace this payment. Expecting this money to be credited to my energy account I used more electric to keep warm during the winter. Now I am left having to find extra money which means cutting down on the food I buy. At 75 years old it is not a good place to be in.
    I have tried everywhere I can think of including contacting my MP but so far have got nowhere.
    I feel like I am walking into a brick wall!!!!
  • Pompey61
    Pompey61 Forumite Posts: 3
    First Post
    My mum receives pension guarantee credit, only income is her state pension. She is 94 year old pensioner who has various health and mobility issues. Has never received the WHD as electric bill not in her name, in name of landlord.  She is customer of British Gas for gas only supply not dual fuel.  She has never received the WHD in the 11years it has been running because of this ridiculous rule regarding name on bill of electric supplier.  I only realised this year that she was missing out as she now needs my support helping her with her bills etc.  Used online eligibilty checker and this name on bill rule states she is not eligible even though she is in receipt of pension guarantee credit and should be core group 1.  Asked British Gas if it can be applied to her gas bill and they told me I have to write to the Warm Home Discount scheme. Couldn't get through to helpline earlier this year despite trying numerous times and now past deadline so line closed.   She has effectively missed out on around £1600 over the 11 years.
    This is appalling. Rules need to be changed NOW.
  • Dolor
    Dolor Forumite Posts: 7,545
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pompey61 said:
    My mum receives pension guarantee credit, only income is her state pension. She is 94 year old pensioner who has various health and mobility issues. Has never received the WHD as electric bill not in her name, in name of landlord.  She is customer of British Gas for gas only supply not dual fuel.  She has never received the WHD in the 11years it has been running because of this ridiculous rule regarding name on bill of electric supplier.  I only realised this year that she was missing out as she now needs my support helping her with her bills etc.  Used online eligibilty checker and this name on bill rule states she is not eligible even though she is in receipt of pension guarantee credit and should be core group 1.  Asked British Gas if it can be applied to her gas bill and they told me I have to write to the Warm Home Discount scheme. Couldn't get through to helpline earlier this year despite trying numerous times and now past deadline so line closed.   She has effectively missed out on around £1600 over the 11 years.
    This is appalling. Rules need to be changed NOW.
    Write to your mother’s MP. The trouble with rules is that there are always winners and losers. For example, people getting financial support when they have an income of £X when someone on an income of £X+1 gets nothing.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Forumite Posts: 9,076
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @pompey61 Can the electricity account not be changed to her name?
    Presumably she's also missing out by not being on the Priority Services Register?
    Once she has her own account you could monitor and manage it online for her.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Forumite Posts: 3,927
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I assume this is related to those who got letters but then had no credit rather than the poor way the criteria is setup?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback