Benefits for maternity

peppapig14peppapig14 Forumite
255 Posts
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Posting on behalf of friend 

She lives in an annexe of a large house and pays the landlords in cash each month ( rent includes all bills ).
No tenancy agreement only verbal. She has driving llicence and doctors registered to that address
She is 6 months pregnant and her maternity pay is only 6 weeks full pay,6weeks half pay then onto statutory pay
Would she be entitled to any housing benefit etc  , as although she has lived at the address 3 years the landlords don't want it declared


  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It's no longer possible to claim housing benefit for help with any rent unless you're either living in supported or temporary housing. She maybe entitled to Universal Credit but it will depend on her circumstances. If she has savings/capital of more than £16,000 she's excluded from claiming. If she lives with a partner they'll need to claim as a couple.

    To claim for help with any rent through Universal Credit then she will need to give proof of her liability to pay rent such as a tenancy agreement. (any help with the rent will not include any bills)

    It's a little odd to rent from a private landlord without any formal written agreement.
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Even just a lodger's agreement would be enough, if the landlords are that set on flying under whatever radar.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools