Can I keep child tax credits if child (18) is enrolled @ college but cannot attend due to ill health

Options
Son has been struggling with college and is doing a phased return due to ill health and is struggling to cope with being back at college. The college have said they feel it would be best if he has the rest of the year off and starts again in September. He will still be enrolled on the course. If he chooses to stay off until September, will my child tax credits stop? Don't want to phone child tax credits as husband is on legacy benefits and don't want to trigger a universal credit claim. Thanks 

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I don't know the answer about Tax Credits but nothing will 'trigger' a claim for UC, only you actively applying for it :)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I don't know the answer about Tax Credits but nothing will 'trigger' a claim for UC, only you actively applying for it :)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The best thing you can do is ring HMRC to check because if he's not planning on going back in September then your tax credits for him should end. As spoonie correctly advised, it's not a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback