GMail - All Messages Lost - Not Showing in Trash etc.

HollyandCo
HollyandCo Posts: 72 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 4 February 2023 at 1:08PM in Techie Stuff
Hello

I am trying to help a friend with her emails (GMail).  3 days ago she decided to clear lots of messages - she believed she was deleting them individually from her phone.  She thought she was in her Bin and she wanted to permanently delete.  She then selected 'All', but somehow she has managed to delete everything from all her other folders (important stuff).

I have gone to her Bin and Trash Folders but I can't see anything to restore.   I have even visited her Recycle Folder on Windows (laptop) but can't see any emails in there.

Is there anything else I can do to restore her messages?

Comments

• Have you looked on google/mail in a browser rather than an app
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Have you looked on google/mail in a browser rather than an app
    I think so?  I have got her laptop beside me and the messages aren't there either.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2023 at 1:54PM
    Have you seen this help article?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7401?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&oco=1

Sorry - realised you say they are not showing in the Trash
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Have you tried this in your browser (Edge/Firefox/Chrome)

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • I have a feeling everything must have been put into her trash bin and then she has permanently deleted.  I guess there will be no recovery from this.

• Have you tried this in your browser (Edge/Firefox/Chrome)

Thanks - it hasn't helped.  She has accepted everything has gone.   Crazy, I thought there was supposed to be another 'recovery' process within so many days.   I guess that was, if you hadn't actually emptied the trash can.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Outlook has a recovery process for items deleted from the bin but unfortunately GMail does not have that option
  • molerat said:
    Outlook has a recovery process for items deleted from the bin but unfortunately GMail does not have that option
    Ah, that's where I had seen the option.  Myself, I have Outlook.

Thanks everyone.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 February 2023 at 3:11PM
    If she knows who the emails are from, using the browser on a PC, go to her GMail account, from the list on the left-hand side, choose More, then All Mail.  Using the search at the top, type in the name of sender and the emails may show there.  It's also worth trying to search using different terms from the missing emails.

Am just wondering if she does a recovery on her PC, if she reverts back several days whether the emails will appear back in her account?  Someone with more PC experience will probably be able to advise?

Good luck
  • Cefca
    Cefca Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2023 at 6:09PM
    libra10 said:
    Am just wondering if she does a recovery on her PC, if she reverts back several days whether the emails will appear back in her account?  Someone with more PC experience will probably be able to advise?

That wouldn't help as the emails aren't stored on your computer but on Google's servers. Maybe an email to gmail support is worth a shot?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback