Help! Can I request fir another work coach?

mommyof3mommyof3 Forumite
10 Posts
Part of the Furniture Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi, my partner is having issues with his work coach. He is a director of his small business, which he was now informed should be reported as self emplloyed.  

He is getting very conflicting and confusing advice from his work coach.

He was intially advised to declarr all income and expense for two years, as well as two years worth of invoices and receipts. My partner har conplied with all requests.  It came to about 5 reams of paper.  The work coach then balked at the amount of paperwork they had to scan and now they said he just need to be declared self employed for the last six months.

The change from 2 years to last six months (done as advised by the work coach) somehow triggered a massive overpayment . The work coach said this will be reset but we’ve just got overpayment letter.

My partner had also provided tax returns from his accountant. The work coach made some rude remarks about his accountant; that they did not know what they are doing,  and doing my partner more harm than good.  

We understand HMRC and DWP have different criterias. However, the work coach’s advice has been very confusing.  They said he cannot claim for transport despite that he has to travel by from job to job as a tradesman. They also said he can’t claim his accountancy fees (the work coach later backtracked when queried. Apparently they didn’t know fees could be paid monthly)  

As he is in the building trade, my partner had to subcontract some work to qualified electricians. These were also questioned by the work coach. He tried explaining but was met with derision.   

My partner is getting very stressed, trying to comply with his work coach’s instruction.  The work coach is now threatening that he has one more chance before being put under secondary investigation.

Please help! Do my partner have grounds to request for another work coach? If yes, how can he do this? Can this be reported via the Journal?.

Thank you in advance


  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It is correct that he is treated as self employed and business income and expenditure on a monthly basis on a ‘cash’ basis. Guidance here

    Unfortunately I don’t know the best way to seek a change to your Work Coach.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • edited 3 February at 8:51AM
    hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 February at 8:51AM
    Yes definitely self employed as previously advised.

    The income and expenses being reported is being questioned. Not because of any deliberate action by your partner, but because what is being entered does not appear correct. Income and expenses is purely cash in (income) and cash out (expenses).  And yes paying others doing subcontracted work can be included as expenses, so can accountant's fees and business mileage. Does the net figure represent trading profit for the period ?

    Work Coaches are generally advised to try to coach the claimant to complete the income and expenses as is shown in the UCD5 document added to the journal. If the claimant then appears to be trying to find ways to boost UC payments by deliberately completing the income and expenses with dubious information, then the matter is referred for a compliance interview, where they will go through reems of paperwork.

    Your partner can politely ask the Job Centre Manager to assign a different Work Coach. Either by sending journal message for attention of Job Centre manager or by calling 0800 328 5644.

    And your partner can ask for mandatory reconsideration of the overpayment, if they believe it is wrongly calculated.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • peteukpeteuk Forumite
    821 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    How about asking the Job centre manager if there is someone with more experience of self employed claims, that way your not saying i dont like them or their rubbish.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools