Pregnant & risk of redundancy - what to do?

Just discovered pregnant for 3 months. 

However, boss at work haven't been impressed by contribution and gave final warning before next quarterly catch up in few months time need to improve or else... 
Boss haven't officially signalled at risk of being made redundant but do get the negative feeling & vibes from boss. Told boss 3 months pregnant and officially informed HR too, - the boss was very happy and gave best wishes. 

Won't get MATB1 form (the form is required for making formal request to take maternity leave) until few more months and next quarterly catch up is before officially get the MATB1 form.

What should do? 
risk of being made redundant? 
If look move for new job - won't get maternity leave at new company?

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just discovered pregnant for 3 months. 

However, boss at work haven't been impressed by contribution and gave final warning before next quarterly catch up in few months time need to improve or else... 
    Boss haven't officially signalled at risk of being made redundant but do get the negative feeling & vibes from boss. Told boss 3 months pregnant and officially informed HR too, - the boss was very happy and gave best wishes. 

Won't get MATB1 form (the form is required for making formal request to take maternity leave) until few more months and next quarterly catch up is before officially get the MATB1 form.

What should do? 
    risk of being made redundant? 
    If look move for new job - won't get maternity leave at new company?
    Do you actually mean genuinely redundant or do you think they are looking to "let you go" / manage you out / sack you because they are unimpressed with your work (rightly or wrongly)?

Any sensible firm will be very cautious because of your pregnancy, for fear of an unlawful discrimination claim, but if they have sound grounds to dismiss you for performance reasons or genuine grounds to make you redundant they still can.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You say boss hasn't been impressed with contribution, do you agree with that? Do you know what you need to improve to meet their requirements? Are you capable of doing that? I would focus on those rather than the risk of redundancy or job hunting for now.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Regarding
    "If look move for new job - won't get maternity leave at new company?"

Provided you are an employee and give the correct notice you are entitled to maternity leave.
    If you are asking about maternity payments that is different, here there could problems with SMP depending on when you left old employment and maternity allowance conditions are here....
    https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility
  • pjcox2005 said:
    You say boss hasn't been impressed with contribution, do you agree with that? Do you know what you need to improve to meet their requirements? Are you capable of doing that? I would focus on those rather than the risk of redundancy or job hunting for now.
    i know. get what you are saying. family gave similar advice actually but just can't get negative thoughts out of head
  • jkepple
    jkepple Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know if you are private or Public sector, but anyhow if you are not with a union join pronto.
    Have you got anything written down saying well done, good job etc from anyone? I once worked with a colleague who had a file filled with compliments- emails and letters- which was pulled out whenever she had an appraisal. 'Crap I am?' then out came the folder!
    I wouldn't worry- they are probably scared you would take them to the cleaners if proved you were sacked because of pregnancy 

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    jkepple said:
    I don't know if you are private or Public sector, but anyhow if you are not with a union join pronto.
    Have you got anything written down saying well done, good job etc from anyone? I once worked with a colleague who had a file filled with compliments- emails and letters- which was pulled out whenever she had an appraisal. 'Crap I am?' then out came the folder!
    I wouldn't worry- they are probably scared you would take them to the cleaners if proved you were sacked because of pregnancy 

Based on what OP said, she was wanted that her performance was poor and was put on a final warning before the employer knew she was pregnant, so assuming that they have documented those meetings and discussions they will have pretty solid evidence that if she is dismissed, it's unrelated to the pregnancy.

OP, it sounds as though the risk s that you may be dismissed for poor permeance, rather than being made redundant, so focus on addressing the issues which your boss raised with you in the review. Have you made changes?  Have you had any feedback about whether your performance is seen to be improving? Have you asked for any feedback or support with meeting the requirements of the role?  

If you feel the issues they have raised are valid, is it an indication that this role is not a good fit for you? Is it worth looking for other jobs that might be a better fit? 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback