We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone used Exoticca recently?

Options
I'm looking for anyone who has travelled with this company who regularly have trips on Travel zoo and Secret Escapes. I have recently booked a trip with them after seeing they had very good reviews on Trust pilot but now have some concerns after they booked the cheapest possible 'basic economy' (wasn't even aware such a thing existed) with a different airline than advertised and now have to pay £300+ to pick a seat and take a bag for 2 weeks otherwise it is a personal item only. I have since read very concerning things about the way they operate and apprehensive about going to the other side of the world. Wondered if anyone could share their experience, as perhaps it could be a great trip? 

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't travelled with them, but they hold an ATOL and are a member of ABTA. Clearly, no one has read their booking conditions, 8.2 says they can change the date of departure, make changes or cancel and you are not entitled to a cash refund. That is not only a breach of the ABTA Code of Conduct but also the law. They appear to be a subsidiary of a Spanish company and my real worry is their pricing structure, no one can sell holidays at half price so I suspect the original selling price is a figment of the imagination.

As regards your flights, most operators reserve the right to change airlines and nowadays you will nearly always have to pay to reserve seats but that is an entirely optional cost, the luggage, on the other hand, should have been made clear to you before you booked, one of the benefits of dealing with a human being face to face or on the phone. This should have been made clear if there was no indication that the luggage was extra. As regards the reviews, all the positive ones appear to be from the US, the bad ones from the UK....
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a scam. The baggage thing is so they can sell a flight below cost, and then force you to pay the difference in add on fees for things that are absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately you can't easily get your money back now. Unless they actually break the law or their own terms, you are locked into their rip off scam.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 February 2023 at 7:08AM
    Options
    rigolith said:
    It's a scam. The baggage thing is so they can sell a flight below cost, and then force you to pay the difference in add on fees for things that are absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately you can't easily get your money back now. Unless they actually break the law or their own terms, you are locked into their rip off scam.

Several airlines, booked either direct or through an agent, now offer a 'basic economy' fare that doesn't include checked in luggage (which I wouldn't call 'absolutely necessary'), and most don't give free seat choice with the cheapest tickets. Are they all guilty of your 'rip off scam'..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • IceTry
    IceTry Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February at 10:12PM
    Options
    I have travelled with them twice and thought exoticca were a good company offering good value!  You pay more if you want more convenient or direct flights or to add baggage.  It’s usually worth it (after my first trip where I paid minimum and paid the price!) but that’s a choice and usually only adds from £100 to £300 to the cost of the holiday (depending if short or long haul).  
  • IceTry
    IceTry Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February at 10:11PM
    Options
    If you want a tip: if it’s long haul, pay the extra to get convenient and more direct flights eg. not changing where possible!  You’ll be glad you did !!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February at 11:17PM
    Options
    Have they given you an airline booking reference, and can you log into the airline website and check your booking is ok?  Likewise you can get in touch with the hotel and check you have a reservation there.  At least that way you can confirm things are booked and it's not a scam.  (Although it's worth saying the hotel may not always have a booking in your name yet if it's been done by a third party agent)

Basic economy fares are quite common now even on long haul.  I never pay to pick a seat, but that's personal preference, I just log in early for online check in.  On baggage check how much it costs directly with the airline, either on their site or even at check in.  Could save you any admin fees your agent might add on.

There's a big difference between not liking the sales and fees structure and something being a scam.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IceTry said:
    If you want a tip: if it’s long haul, pay the extra to get convenient and more direct flights eg. not changing where possible!  You’ll be glad you did !!

Depends on the length of the flight. For 8 hours then definitely direct, but once it gets to 10-12 hours then it can be nice to have a break to stretch your legs and freshen up for a couple of hours. When flying to SE Asia I will usually do a layover in Dubai or Doha.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure