Travel insurance - I check the small print but never noted this as we skim through it

Options
Hi
Watching a youtube vido, not sure if it was a telly proramme/etc but a family went to that place called Lanzeeroti.
Nice family, 3 young kids all sub ten.
On their return at the Lanzeeroti airport the little girl had chickenpox and was not allowed on the plane.
However, the family found out that one parent could stay with the child but not the other one so dad and 2 kids went alone ie returned alone
The good news i think it was the same day with more checks by doc, they said the chickenpox was deemed as no longer infectious so could fly out

I was a bit shocked and up until that point I though that 5 star cover/similar etc covered a group, ie, you go out as a fmily, young or older kids etc, one becomes ill etc,
I thought others were covered like when you first go on hols. Yes, I should red the policy more carefully but its just a heads up

(I'm aware most polices wont cover you if you have an accident if drunk or doing sports you are not supposed to etc etc but the above was a surpise)

Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Insurance is there to cover the worst case scenarios and each claim is judged on its own merits of what was necessary at the time.  In a similar situation but its one of the parents that gets ill then its likely the insurer would pay for the whole group to stay overseas.

People not understanding their policy can go both ways though, when a friend's teenage kid got hospitalised on their first solo holiday they were surprised that the insurance covered them flying out to join them
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Insurance is there to cover the worst case scenarios and each claim is judged on its own merits of what was necessary at the time.  In a similar situation but its one of the parents that gets ill then its likely the insurer would pay for the whole group to stay overseas.

People not understanding their policy can go both ways though, when a friend's teenage kid got hospitalised on their first solo holiday they were surprised that the insurance covered them flying out to join them
    Hi
    Thank you, I guess you are correct. My main point was a bigger heads-up to especially those on tight budgets etc as it may their impact as an insult to injury.

Talking to people at work when I worked, a few were not aware that drinking could invalidate their insurance or riding a motorbike and or quad.

When taking out insurance, read and read the main points and if you are unsure, phone and ask and upgrade if required for a piece of mind

Again at work, often when people travelled to Europe, a lot did not take out travel insurance as they felt they were covered and I reminded them a chap in another department that went to Spain, fell down some steps playing around with mates broke his leg - all was ok but he was delayed coming back and had to pay extra for flight inc extra leg space

As with any insurance, if you are concerned re anything is covered check and be aware of what is not covered.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback