Incorrect Standing order, Lost £800! sent 2 times, to the Wrong person! HELP

Options
2»

Comments

• Miles86
    Miles86 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked that the 'incorrect' standing order payments haven't been credited back to your account?

The way account numbers work it's very unlikely that you can accidentally type the wrong digits and get a valid account number. If Nationwide don't validate the details then the likelihood is NatWest will send it back when they find the details are invalid.

Of course if they are valid details for whatever reason (see the question about what actually happened) then this won't apply.
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably you do not do online banking? That would enable you to cancel the existing wrong standing order and amend the £200 standing order to £400.

1a If you instruct the bank to stop a standing order, they will do so.
    1b It depends whether they accept your evidence (the piece of paper you have, and the recollection of the instructions you gave). It is a pity that you are moving money from one institution to another, as the clerk could not have checked the destination account as part of the process. You can ask them where the money has gone, but they may not be able to tell you.
    2 See 1b
    3 Did you tell them it was a transfer to an account in your name? If I transfer money to an account using online banking, and enter an account name in the appropriate field, the program will tell me if the name is wrong, but not whose name it is actually in.
    4 Talk to Nationwide and explain the circumstances first. They will advise you if you should talk to NatWest.
    5 See 1b
    6 I don't know. It all turns on whether they accept responsibility.
    7 An honest person would have contacted their bank to say that the two credits did not belong to them, assuming that they were aware of the credits.
    8/9 No, but my wife received unexpected credits a few years ago, and because she recognised the payer's name, contacted them to refund them. My recollection is that she spoke to the bank first, but they weren't helpful.
    10/11 No
    12 Talk to them asap, and as a minimum, get the incorrect standing order deleted and the £200 one amended to £400, if this is still what you want.
    However inconvenient it is, you need to talk to Nationwide as soon as possible, explaining all the facts. You won't know whether you will get your money back until you do.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback