Jeremy Hunt in plea to early retirees: ‘Britain needs you’

Options
Today Jeremy Hunt said : “So, to those who retired early after the pandemic, or haven’t found the right role after furlough, I say: Britain needs you. And we will look at the conditions necessary to make work worth your while.”

Would anyone here consider unretiring and returning to work, what would it really take to make it worthwhile?  

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This subject was brought up here several weeks ago. I see they are still trying.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 January 2023 at 3:26PM
    Options
    I'll be very interested in any idea's they come up with for making it worthwhile. I suspect it would need a mixture of carrot and stick. The government typically being much more comfortable with the stick approach for PAYE types.
  • Expotter
    Expotter Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'll be very interested in any idea's they come up with for making it worthwhile. I suspect it would need a mixture of carrot and stick. The government typically being much more comfortable with the stick approach for PAYE types.
    A good place to start would probably be a rethink of the Lifetime Allowance and IR35 rules, that might encourage some to stay in work for longer, but not enough for me though.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Expotter said:
    A good place to start would probably be a rethink of the Lifetime Allowance and IR35 rules, that might encourage some to stay in work for longer, but not enough for me though.
    Very much carrot territory there. Whilst I'd like to see those types of incentives I was thinking the actual measures would be further reductions of LTA and raising of state pension age with perhaps some ISA or tax relief restrictions thrown in as an attempt to force people back to work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback