Adding Insulation to a crosswall house

Options
2»

Comments

• RN7
    RN7 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure why but thank link doesn't seem to work. 

Could be wrong but I thought EWI was a term usually used for building something additional on the outside of the existing wall and adding insulation that way. 

Rather than adding / changing insulation into an existing stud wall. 
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    RN7 said:
    FreeBear said:
    I’ve just finished some work with BC and they wanted rock wool, not celotex in the external wall. Not sure if this is a shift away from celotex?
    Cork would be a viable alternative to Celotex or fibreglass/rockwool - Fire resistant, similar thermal performance to fibreglass, and doesn't have the problem with slumping. Would be a bit more expensive, and there are not that many suppliers in the UK.

I'd worry about pay back time in that case.
    Going by some estimates of EWI (https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cost-guides/external-wall-insulation-cost/), even at the lower end of £8K, it is going to take a very long time to get a return on investment. I'll have spent close to £10K on doors, windows, and insulation by the time I've finished the thermal upgrades here. Whilst I'm already seeing some savings, I won't recover the total cost in my lifetime. However, quality of life has been vastly improved by way of killing cold draughts and the place being easier to heat to a comfortable termperature - What price can be put on that.

Guessing about £10k
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    RN7 said:
    Not sure why but thank link doesn't seem to work. 

Could be wrong but I thought EWI was a term usually used for building something additional on the outside of the existing wall and adding insulation that way. 

Rather than adding / changing insulation into an existing stud wall. 
    Fixed the link.
    If you were to insulate a whole house internally, I'd still expect a bill in the region of £8K unless you do the work yourself.
    https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/advice/solid-wall-insulation/ claim a potential saving of £540 per year for a typical semi, so a ~15 year RoI.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback