We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Self assessment pension top up payment

Options
Hello all, i am about to complete my self assessment for 21-22, and would have a small tax payment to make. I have noted that top up payments made to a pension plan could offset that liability.

So the question is, can I make a top up payment to my pension plan today ( Jan -23 ) and claim that as being part of my 21-22 self assessment due by 31/1/23 ? Or is it simply that if I make that payment today, I can only use it for tax relief against 22-23 or future self assessments ?

Timing is the issue and I’ve been unable to find clear guidance in what I have read. I’d very much appreciate any good advice on this subject. Many thanks 

Comments

• Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You cannot set back pension payments made in 2022/23 back to 2021/22.
  • AldoM
    Options
    You cannot set back pension payments made in 2022/23 back to 2021/22.
    That was my fear, thanks Jeremy 👍🏼
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    If you haven't already submitted your return and have made some Gift Aid payments in the current tax year then it's worth checking that part of your return before you submit it as Gift Aid payments can be carried back (in limited circumstances).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback