GoDaddy bad practice

Options
Hi all
I recently did a search on GoDaddy for a domain name that was available. It is quite a unique business name.
On seeing that it was available I then did some planning for a few days and then went back to purchase to find that the domain had been bought and registered via GoDaddy. I'm not normally a paranoid person but the timing seems suspicious! The .com and .co.uk have both been registered.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there anything else i could have done that has opened me up to this in terms of my searches being tracked?

Pretty gutted as now I have a business plan in place and can pay a broker fee of £60 to see if i can even buy it.

Not saying it's not my fault as could have bought it when i saw it but just can't get over the timing of searching and then it being snatched up.

Thanks! 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What's the domain name?

Never known it to happen and have bought thousands of domains over the years. Plenty of horror stories of people claiming it to have happened but the only case I have seen where something like it happened was one where a company had let their domain lapse and then re bought it... so pure coincidence that an associate had looked at it in that window where it was available 
  • doddsy1
    doddsy1 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how to formally complain about Go Daddy services. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone and been onto their online chat today for 9 hours andstill got no where. They basically told me to phone up after all that. Been sitting waiting for someone to answer for 40 mins now to no avail. Basically wasted a day and still have no resolution. I want to make a formal complaint but no one will tell me how and I cant find anything online
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you googled 'GoDaddy complaint'? that has yielded at least one email address, no idea if it will help or not (because I don't know the nature of your complaint). 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I used ionos.co.uk to check whether the domain I wanted was available and bought it via wordpress.com which hosts my existing website. Go Daddy was recommended to me for my first website and I had endless support problems so switched to WordPress, which is better. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback