Setting up standing orders intro regular saving accounts

I've recently set up a number of regular saving accounts, which I plan to pay into each month.

I need to set up a number of standing orders from my main current account - however had a couple of questions:

1. When I opened the savings account with First Direct for example, I had to create a current account with them first. I was also required to create a standing order from the First Direct current account, into the First Direct regular saver. Can I only pay in via standing order into the regular saver through the first direct current account, or can I cancel that standing order and set one up instead from my main current account (with a different bank)?

2. I opened the saving accounts just after the start of the month (for example 10th of the month). Can I pay into the account from the 1st of the month going forward, or is each 'month' only from the 10th (for example the regular savers expire on 10th January 2024).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• edited 20 January at 7:32PM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    56.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 20 January at 7:32PM
    1. I don't see why not. The account has a number and a sort code and the conditions say just 'standing order'.

2. This depends. Usually it's a calendar months, but not for all accounts. In the latter case you, most likely, cannot make monthly topups from another bank.

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • VortigernVortigern Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    1. First Direct RegSavers must be fed from the First Direct current account. You can't change the date of the SO either. Leave it as it is.

2. Usually calendar months, sometimes a statement month or "monthiversary". You need to read the terms & conditions.

Most regular savers, except first direct and HSBC, can be fed by standing order from an external account.
  • edited 20 January at 8:04PM
    flaneurs_lobsterflaneurs_lobster Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 January at 8:04PM
    Each regular savings account will have it's own rules on how it can be funded. In the case of the First Direct Regular Saver it can only be funded by standing order from the 1st Account. You can set up a standing order from your main current account to transfer funds into the 1st account, not directly into the saver.

Again, in the case of the First Direct Regular Saver the funding day each month is set when the standing order is set up (by the bank) and can't be moved. The maturity date is exactly 12 months after the first fund date.

All this information is on the website

https://www.firstdirect.com/savings-and-investments/savings/regular-saver-account/

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    56.5K Posts
    Forumite
    I was lazy to look through all 44 pages - and I stand corrected...

You’ll then need to make 11 more payments by standing order from your 1st Account up to the Maximum Monthly Balance.

p.37

• Hattie627Hattie627 Forumite
    7 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    I have a follow-up question about the First Direct RS.

My FD RS has a payment date of 29th. There is no 29th this February, so presumably the payment will go on 1 March. Will this mean that no payment will be possible on 29 March, or will the 1 March payment be treated as having been made in February? 

I can't change the payment date which was determined when I opened the account. With the 7% interest rate, I would prefer not to miss out on a month's payment. The account matures on 28 or 29 May.
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    56.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Just have the money available in the current account on the 28th and don't worry.

• where_are_wewhere_are_we Forumite
    814 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Grumbler is correct - I had a previous FDRS with a very late in the month payment date and the February and March payments were honoured.
  • NewSaver2022NewSaver2022 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    I'm glad I asked - some great information, thank you all.

For the Regular Savers which are open to all - specifically Principality Building Society and Halifax - are there any conditions regards when you should pay into these accounts (again would like to set up a standing order for the start of the month, however opened them in middle of the month, so not sure if I can pay into it on the 1st going forward).

I've looked at the T&Cs for both but wasn't obvious if this was the case.

• edited 21 January at 11:58AM
    flaneurs_lobsterflaneurs_lobster Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 21 January at 11:58AM
    For the Halifax Regular Saver, the "Summary Box" says: 

• You can save £25 - £250 every month by one standing order or a bank transfer. This needs to reach your account before the 25th of the month. You can also make a bank transfer to top up your savings as long as the total amount of your deposits does not exceed the monthly limit of £250. The amount that you save each month can vary but needs to stay between the £25 to £250 monthly limit. 
  • flaneurs_lobsterflaneurs_lobster Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Forumite
    The Principality 1 Year Regular Saver Bond (if that's the one you mean) is worded such that you don't have to make a deposit in any one month at all, but if you do the total can't exceed £250. No cutoff is mentioned. 

I'd just set up SO's into these accounts for the 1st of the month as you proposed.