Virgin Media Changing Phone to Fibre Without Notification.

I usually get an incoming phone call at least once a day on my Virgin Media landline, I never make outgoing calls on it.

After a week without any calls I was beginning to think that the telemarketers had finally given up when my mobile rings and my wife is screaming at me as to why I am not answering the phone, she was getting a ring tone, thinking I am lying dead on the floor like a friend was found 2 months ago.

I say the phone has never rung, in fact I can't remember it ringing for ages.and go and check it.

Dead,.no dial tone, nothing.

Then I remember that a few weeks ago I had got an adapter from Virgin Media to plug into my router to change to fibre phone line over the internet but no date as to when.

So I plug it in to the router and plug the phone in and a dial tone is heard.

So I don't know when Virgin Media changed my phone.

So anyone with a Virgin Media landline who has got an adapter to plug into their router and hasn't had a call in ages check that you haven't been changed over to internet calls.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,751 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Had the same thing happen to my parents - although in their case they actually had a Virgin engineer come out to set them up ready for the switch over. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I was starting to get worried by them not picking up only to find when they eventually rang me that the phone wasn't ringing their end.....
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Mine was changed, I had multiple communications from Virgin telling me exactly what to do and what day to do it 
  • We received the adapter but no date. The stated that we would be informed of the switchover date. Noticed that phone hadn't rang for a few weeks and that there was no ring tone so connected to the router and it worked. Nothing from VM at all. The bigger issue is that we have a landline which we don't use/want but have to keep it.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,881 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    billybike said:
    We received the adapter but no date. The stated that we would be informed of the switchover date. Noticed that phone hadn't rang for a few weeks and that there was no ring tone so connected to the router and it worked. Nothing from VM at all. The bigger issue is that we have a landline which we don't use/want but have to keep it.
    Why do you have to keep it? I am on fibre (have been for over a year) as soon as I got fibre, I ditched my landline so instead of paying monthly line rental and internet, I now just pay £28 a month for full fibre. (‘I’m not with virgin as I refuse to give them my money, but that’s by the by) 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I have just had a BT series 2 router sent to me and put in place. A week later I had not had any calls and having delved into the paperwork it seems that it was important to connect the phone to the back of the router, this was not clear on the paperwork . Having connected it all was ok. Maybe BT could be a lot clearer on their instructions.
    ps, the new router is even better than the previous one.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • sandy700
    sandy700 Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sarah1972 said:
    billybike said:
    We received the adapter but no date. The stated that we would be informed of the switchover date. Noticed that phone hadn't rang for a few weeks and that there was no ring tone so connected to the router and it worked. Nothing from VM at all. The bigger issue is that we have a landline which we don't use/want but have to keep it.
    Why do you have to keep it? I am on fibre (have been for over a year) as soon as I got fibre, I ditched my landline so instead of paying monthly line rental and internet, I now just pay £28 a month for full fibre. (‘I’m not with virgin as I refuse to give them my money, but that’s by the by) 
    I keep it because it is actually cheaper to have broadband and phone than broadband on it's own with Virgin.
    Though my contract with Virgin ends in July so who knows what will happen then

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 February 2023 at 7:28PM
    Received the adapter, no letter with date. Phone dead as the proverbial dodo. We're out of contract so I suggested to husband, just ditch the landline but he hasn't yet. Some moons ago, BT hsd the facility for VoiP calls here, free of charge but we switched to Virginmedia to get better broadband. 

The big prob with internet calls, is that if you have a power cut, the phone won't work. Suggest not helpful for seniors. Suggest registering for priority prob solving if older, chronic illness, disabled as they prioritise re-connection after power cuts etc. Doesn't cost anything. Then it wouldn't matter about internt calls, you'd be on the system.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback