Some good news in the latest predictions

Options
2»

Comments

• spot1034
    spot1034 Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Many people who aren't with Octopus will have signed up for email alerts when prices come down. I did this, and I think I did a similar thing with EDF. If there are limited offers, say for a few thousand customers, I expect those are the people who'll get them.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It often felt like the predictions we were seeing were a result of extrapolating panic buying, as all the suppliers (across Europe) hedged at ever higher prices for fear of even higher prices to come, becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.
    But at the same time no one could be certain it would get better and break the cycle.

3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • JohnPo
    JohnPo Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I should have probably start a new thread on this but it is sort of relevant to this discussion, if wholesale prices actually fall over the next few months and the forecasts continue downwards, anyone have any views as to likelihood of some of those people behind all those failed suppliers from starting up again? I know Ofgem have made some (closing the stable door) changes to authorising new suppliers - but some thoughts from people on here with more appropriate insight as to what might happen going forward would be welcome.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    JohnPo said:
    I should have probably start a new thread on this but it is sort of relevant to this discussion, if wholesale prices actually fall over the next few months and the forecasts continue downwards, anyone have any views as to likelihood of some of those people behind all those failed suppliers from starting up again? I know Ofgem have made some (closing the stable door) changes to authorising new suppliers - but some thoughts from people on here with more appropriate insight as to what might happen going forward would be welcome.
    Pretty much zero, the would not get granted licenses, some are still being investigated a few have been barred from becoming company directors etc. and if there was a likely risk it would be easy for the government to tweak the licensing regulations further. Regardless of that even with wholesale prices dropping the market is not in a place that means a new entrant could really make it work, prices on the SVR are capped at 2% and I doubt they could make fixed tariffs work with such small customer based and no existing revenue flow. 

I am not saying it could not happen, but in my opinion it is very unlikely that it will happen.
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnPo said:
    They have probably all been given peerages, so now probably have other avenues to exploit government contracts :/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback