Lakeland's Lifetime Warranty

Options

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If Lakeland are stupid enough made an advertising claim and the OP relied on it to buy the product then won't it be covered   by Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co

I am not entirely sure that Carbolic Smoke Ball is equivalent.

In that case, the product was purchased, used as per instructions and meant to prevent the individual contracting the flu.
    The individual did all that, but still contracted the flu so the product had failed to do the specific purpose for which it was sold.
    A key part of the case was the statement by the company that they had lodged funds to meet claims, thus emphasising the contractual nature of the promise.

The OP purchased a vacuum cleaner which has performed the function of vacuum cleaner for 8 years.

The link that has been provided upthread to the Lakeland Guarantee reads:

The Lakeland Guarantee
    the Lakeland guarantee..
    it's probably the simplest guarantee in the world!  If you're not satisfied at any time, you receive your money back!  this is our promise.
    Shop in confidence with Lakeland.
    "Every single product we sell is backed by our unconditional, no-quibble guarantee. Our testing standards are famous throughout the industry, and our guarantee is your assurance that each item has met our exacting requirements - only when we are completely satisfied will it earn a place in our range. We hope you'll be delighted with our products, but if for any reason at all you're not 100% satisfied, we'll happily refund your money without delay... no 'ifs or buts' from Lakeland!  Whether you shop online, over the phone or in one of our stores, the Lakeland guarantee always applies. If you need to return something, our friendly staff will make it really easy - we want to make sure you love the things you buy from us."

Wendy Miranda

Customer Ambassador

There were probably some full terms and conditions originally available, but they have not been linked. 
    From the title of the thread, I assume that the full terms and conditions made reference to the "Lifetime Warranty" and, no doubt, defined what "lifetime" meant.
    If the linked text of the website is just advertising, that does not include the part emphasising the contractual nature, no equivalent to money on deposit to meet claims.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    I am not entirely sure that Carbolic Smoke Ball is equivalent.

In that case, the product was purchased, used as per instructions and meant to prevent the individual contracting the flu.
    The individual did all that, but still contracted the flu so the product had failed to do the specific purpose for which it was sold.
    A key part of the case was the statement by the company that they had lodged funds to meet claims, thus emphasising the contractual nature of the promise.

The OP purchased a vacuum cleaner which has performed the function of vacuum cleaner for 8 years.

The link that has been provided upthread to the Lakeland Guarantee reads:

The Lakeland Guarantee
    the Lakeland guarantee..
    it's probably the simplest guarantee in the world!  If you're not satisfied at any time, you receive your money back!  this is our promise.
    Shop in confidence with Lakeland.
    "Every single product we sell is backed by our unconditional, no-quibble guarantee. Our testing standards are famous throughout the industry, and our guarantee is your assurance that each item has met our exacting requirements - only when we are completely satisfied will it earn a place in our range. We hope you'll be delighted with our products, but if for any reason at all you're not 100% satisfied, we'll happily refund your money without delay... no 'ifs or buts' from Lakeland!  Whether you shop online, over the phone or in one of our stores, the Lakeland guarantee always applies. If you need to return something, our friendly staff will make it really easy - we want to make sure you love the things you buy from us."

Wendy Miranda

Customer Ambassador

There were probably some full terms and conditions originally available, but they have not been linked. 
    From the title of the thread, I assume that the full terms and conditions made reference to the "Lifetime Warranty" and, no doubt, defined what "lifetime" meant.
    If the linked text of the website is just advertising, that does not include the part emphasising the contractual nature, no equivalent to money on deposit to meet claims.
    It has to be relevant as it was an offer.
    How the vacuum cleaner performed as no relevance to that offer it even states
    any reason at all you're not 100% satisfied, we'll happily refund your money without delay... no 'ifs or buts' from Lakeland!  
    If Lakeland wanted to time lime the offer, it would have needed to (like I believe it does now)
    Also it would need to be clear that there were other terms to this offer  EG  * Please see our T&Cs

The OP incentive to buy from Lakeland was that offer (could have been lower price elsewhere)
    Just because a company is stupid enough to make an offer that might even cost the company , doesn't mean that offer isn't valid.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Is it a part of the contract?
    What were the full terms and conditions?
    It is possible that advertising page was not even referenced in the terms and conditions.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options

Is it a part of the contract?
    What were the full terms and conditions?
    It is possible that advertising page was not even referenced in the terms and conditions.
    Yes I believe  it will form part of the contract
    Think of the Hoover free flights promotion, spend  at least £100 on a Hoover product and get a round trip to the US.
    That is why many people bought it, some didn't even want the product

If Lakeland just said "we guarantee you will be happy with our product"  it's mostly meaningless  as it has no remedy 

But it clearly states a remedy, it will refund a person

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    The relevant wording dug up by @jon81uk says this:  "... We hope you'll be delighted with our products, but if for any reason at all you're not 100% satisfied, we'll happily refund your money without delay... no 'ifs or buts' from Lakeland!... "

The OP said:

drt1710 said:
    I bought a Gtech AirRAM cordless vacuum, admittedly it was 8 years ago, but I chose Lakeland as the place to buy from as at the time they offered a "Lifetime no quibble warranty"
    Well, now our much loved Gtech has died....
    I think that if this ever got anywhere near a court and the OP was asked:  'Mr D, in the eight years that you have used your "much loved Gtech" cordless vacuum cleaner, can you honestly say you have ever been less than 100% satisfied with it?' then the OP might be hard pressed to give an honest answer of "Yes".

I think that if I described a vacuum cleaner as "much loved" after eight years it would be disingenuous of me to suggest now that I'd ever been dissatisfied with it.

(Aaargh!  Now I can't get the image of Doofy Gilmore from Scary Movie out of my head!)
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 January 2023 at 1:16AM
    Options
    The relevant wording dug up by @jon81uk says this:  "... We hope you'll be delighted with our products, but if for any reason at all you're not 100% satisfied, we'll happily refund your money without delay... no 'ifs or buts' from Lakeland!... "

The OP said:

drt1710 said:
    I bought a Gtech AirRAM cordless vacuum, admittedly it was 8 years ago, but I chose Lakeland as the place to buy from as at the time they offered a "Lifetime no quibble warranty"
    I think that if this ever got anywhere near a court and the OP was asked:  'Mr D, in the eight years that you have used your "much loved Gtech" cordless vacuum cleaner, can you honestly say you have ever been less than 100% satisfied with it?' then the OP might be hard pressed to give an honest answer of "Yes".

I think that if I described a vacuum cleaner as "much loved" after eight years it would be disingenuous of me to suggest now that I'd ever been dissatisfied with it.

(Aaargh!  Now I can't get the image of Doofy Gilmore from Scary Movie out of my head!)
    But I would count that by saying the OP never tried to return it while satisfied, it was only when the OP wasn't satisfied (when it broke). Even if the unsatisfaction was 1% it meets the guarantee.

EDIT they were even stupid enough to state "If you're not satisfied at any time"

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2023 at 1:18AM
    Options

The OP said:

drt1710 said:

'Yes, when it broke' would be the OPs response!
    Have to admit, this is crazy of Lakeland and can see why they have since changed it to three years.
    Found an interesting thread, just read the first page - https://www.coffeeforums.co.uk/threads/sage-dual-boiler-lifetime-warranty.17824/
    I'm so intrigued, I've just emailed Lakeland to ask if they would replace the machine if it failed after five years and/or give a refund. Be interesting to hear what they say. If the cover is unlimited, they deserve plugging.

Got a reply from Lakeland about their lifetime guarantee and it is as described so well done Lakeland.

OP, you could always join that forum and drop that member a message. I know it was written in 2014, but they might still be active and have that email!

Here is another thread where people have had success with the guarantee. https://www.coffeeforums.co.uk/threads/any-experience-with-a-lakeland-guarantee.51822/

Might be worth calling the store up and speaking to them.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • One question, if it was 8 years ago is OP out of time to do anything if Lakeland refuse to engage? 
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 January 2023 at 10:56AM
    Options
    One question, if it was 8 years ago is OP out of time to do anything if Lakeland refuse to engage? 
    I would say no,  not out of time as it's a breach of contract, and the date starts when the breach occurred.
    So when Lakeland refused the refund that would be the start date.

Couldn't find anything in the sales of good act that would exclude a claim
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport