Where To Stay During Extensive Work

Hopefully this year, we’ll be getting our bathroom fully renovated by Victoria Plumb. They estimate the work will take around two weeks for a full ‘rip everything out’ update.

Since I work from home and don’t fancy not having a shower for two weeks, I am going to need to find somewhere to live temporarily. I will of course be popping back every now and then, but ideally I need somewhere:

1. I can stay for the duration
2. That has good WiFi
3. That I can work from in a quiet environment

Staying with family isn’t an option unfortunately as I wouldn’t get the above!

I was thinking perhaps just booking a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn, but not sure if the WiFi would be good enough?

I looked into coworking spaces, but I’d ideally like to get all my computers and screens setup once and left for the duration.

Cooking I am likely to come back each night but sleep at the temporary accommodation.

Has anyone else been on this situation? What worked for you? Or does anyone have any ideas I’ve not thought of?

Thanks!

Comments

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi

Airbnb and a cheap hotel, a branded one for rooms as little as 60 per day inc breakfast the last time i looked but things may have changed due to customers being housed by gov. Often comes with free wif-

Negoatie a deal with Airbnb host possibly

Thanks
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2023 at 3:38PM
    Friends that work, but not from home?
    For other options if  internet is a problem, you can get a mobile router and a preloaded data SIM.
  • I'd go to Tenerife
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Shower at local gym/sports centre?  
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'd go to Tenerife
    No, you'll regret leaving UK cowboys without supervision 
  • Thanks all for your replies!

I didn’t think about a mobile router, so that’s a good idea if WiFi is dodgy.

Branded hotel - This was my thinking, plenty locally, if I book for two weeks am I allowed to stay in the room (most) of that time? They don’t want me out each day for cleaning?

Tenerife - I looked at a local holiday park, although this was crazy expensive unfortunately!

Airbnb or a branded hotel look like potentially the best options so far, thanks all!
  • I don't care where you stay, just not Victoria Plumb.  You can't go far wrong with a sink or a  ceramic toilet but their moving parts and furniture are not good quality.  

Specifically warned friends only a few years ago not to do it and they're replacing two bathrooms now.  Shower broken, vanity units have blown with water ingress.   Cheap for a reason except the labour costs the same regardless of the quality of your fittings so it's poor economy.  

Oh no! Are they really that bad?!

After shopping around for a while, they came out on top compared with other big names like B&Q and Wickes in our research.

We know people who went for smaller, independent companies but while much cheaper the quality was hit and miss and had zero warranty.

We thought having some warranty and a larger company may be easier to put things right if things go wrong, plus since ‘they’ do tiling and everything else, it’s one company to deal with.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,777 Forumite
    Hopefully this year, we’ll be getting our bathroom fully renovated by Victoria Plumb. They estimate the work will take around two weeks for a full ‘rip everything out’ update.

Two weeks for a professional company to do a bathroom?  For a client who would virtually need to move out while they work?

Sounds like another reason to choose a different company.

Spending a bit more money to get the work done quicker could be more economic that using Airbnb or hotels, but there are limits to how many people can be working on the same bathroom at any one time.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Thanks all for your replies!

I didn’t think about a mobile router, so that’s a good idea if WiFi is dodgy.

Branded hotel - This was my thinking, plenty locally, if I book for two weeks am I allowed to stay in the room (most) of that time? They don’t want me out each day for cleaning?

Tenerife - I looked at a local holiday park, although this was crazy expensive unfortunately!

Airbnb or a branded hotel look like potentially the best options so far, thanks all!
    No, thank you OP the bit about going abroad, lol, great stuff never though of that - great weather, cheaper drinks and at the end of the day possibly a bit cheaper than staying in the uk - great stuff

I hope your bathroom is great and you are ok with whatever you decide

Good luck
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport