IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County Court Judgment - Civil Enforcement Ltd

Options
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help with an ongoing parking fine saga please. 

I received a PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd related to an incident on 12/12/2021. The date on the Parking Charge Notice (which was postal) was 04/01/2022. 

My understanding to date means CEL have no hope of winning a case, as per the POFA they needed to send a notice to keeper within 14 days - which they didn't do. Over the last year I've received several letters about the apparent debt increasing, leading to a 'Letter of Claim' being received on 01 September 2022. On other advice, I did not respond to this / acknowledge this letter of claim (which was potentially a mistake from what I've read on the newbies thread  :/)

Now comes the tricky part - I moved house at the end of September 2022, and had a mail redirection in place until 21st December 2022. Today, I've picked up post from the old address, and within it is a letter from DCB Legal, acting on behalf of CEL.

The letter is titled 'County Court Judgment; Pay within one month to remove from credit file'. It states a CCJ has been entered against me on 12/12/2022 and that I should already be aware of this. I NEVER received a letter stating so (whilst other post was successfully redirected to my new address during this time).

So now I'm a bit stuck as to what to do - the letter states if I was going to pay I'd have had to do so by 12/01/2023 (which conveniently, was yesterday). So I am now unable to pay to remove the CCJ (not that I would have done anyway given their initial claim, as far as I can understand it, wouldn't hold up).

I am unclear whether the letter I've received is a real CCJ, or what my best next steps are to do here. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2023 at 10:05PM
    Options
     Over the last year I've received several letters about the apparent debt increasing, leading to a 'Letter of Claim' being received on 01 September 2022. On other advice, I did not respond to this / acknowledge this letter of claim (which was potentially a mistake...
    Sorry, but yes: it was terribly naive, especially given you were moving house just 3 weeks later!

You only had to reply with a two minute email and tell them. Oh dear...

Leaving an LBC hanging in that circumstance from litigious gits like 
    Civil Enforcement Ltd was immediately risking a CCJ.  Not sending that email just cost you £275 and your credit rating is ruined until you can reverse this scam...(you do not pay Civil Enforcement Ltd, nor DCB Ltd, by the way).

Same advice as here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79772590/#Comment_79772590

Nothing new. Hundreds of threads about successfully setting aside a CCJ.

I think the one last year by @msx999 is worth reading first, and obviously the NEWBIES FAQS thread (top of the forum in capitals) which already tells you in the second post, all about setting aside a CCJ.

Easy enough but hours of work and a headache for you now (and ruined credit score) that was sooo avoidable.  

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback