First 'school holiday's' holiday - where?!

Options

Comments

• annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Barbados is only an 8 hour flight, weather may be a little temperamental but its safe to walk around and visit places. 

Mauritius is on our list but more so as we've friends that live there.

Prices for Europe do seem a lot higher this year, the Canaries are coming up cheaper but we are happy with non luxury hotels and always go SC. The Canaries often seem to have a breeze so you don't notice the heat quite so much. 

But I completely get it, Europe £5k+ some where tropical £7k+ the price difference isn't as big as you'd think
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • ChilliBob
    ChilliBob Posts: 2,091 Forumite
    Options
    Barbados is only an 8 hour flight, weather may be a little temperamental but its safe to walk around and visit places. 

Mauritius is on our list but more so as we've friends that live there.

Prices for Europe do seem a lot higher this year, the Canaries are coming up cheaper but we are happy with non luxury hotels and always go SC. The Canaries often seem to have a breeze so you don't notice the heat quite so much. 

But I completely get it, Europe £5k+ some where tropical £7k+ the price difference isn't as big as you'd think
    Yeah, the difference isn't too large really. Its not thay somewhere tropical is really necessary - if St Ives wasn't heaving we'd prefer that (were going hopefully twice this year on half terms as it is!).

The main aims with something like Mauritius:
    * Not too hot
    * Technically  'off season' so should be less busy, in theory, than say Portugal. 
  • ChilliBob
    Options
    Google says Barbados would be 31 or so in August, I'd be a wreck lol, I'm built for cold weather not hot he he 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    I wouldn't fancy a long haul flight with a 13 month toddler - to each their own.
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't fancy a long haul flight with a 13 month toddler - to each their own.
    Same here.  The journalist did say "The less said about our first long-haul flight with a toddler the better."

My children didn't sleep on any flights - there's far too much going on.  Also, don't forget who will be doing the "amusing" for hours on end.

Menorca averages 25deg in August and is only 2hr 10 min flight with lovely child friendly beaches.   Santander in Northern Spain mean temp 20deg in August - can be higher!  Less than two hour flight time. I've not been there but it's a personal favourite of a close friend.  Good luck with your search.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,487 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Yes, I remember flying back from Spain when our son was 18 months old.  I had everything spare for him in my bag - and he vomited hugely onto my chest.  Just had to sit there, stinking! 
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For a beach holiday in August when you don't want to be too hot, Eastern Europe would be ideal. Look at countries like Lithuania, where the beaches are great and the sea temperature just right. General costs across the economy are very low, although I am sure that you can find expensive resorts if you look for them.

For somewhere a little warmer, consider coastal resorts on the Black Sea, perhaps in Georgia, Bulgaria or Romania.
  • ChilliBob
    Options
    Yes, I remember flying back from Spain when our son was 18 months old.  I had everything spare for him in my bag - and he vomited hugely onto my chest.  Just had to sit there, stinking! 
    Well regardless of where we go thats a great tip, both my wife and I will be sure to have a spare top in our hand luggage! 
  • ChilliBob
    Options
    Same here.  The journalist did say "The less said about our first long-haul flight with a toddler the better."

My children didn't sleep on any flights - there's far too much going on.  Also, don't forget who will be doing the "amusing" for hours on end.

Menorca averages 25deg in August and is only 2hr 10 min flight with lovely child friendly beaches.   Santander in Northern Spain mean temp 20deg in August - can be higher!  Less than two hour flight time. I've not been there but it's a personal favourite of a close friend.  Good luck with your search.
    Santander looks decent, probably not for our summer holiday, but one for the list. We went to San Sebastian and Biarritz (France) just before Covid, that sad a great break :) 
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options

Or you could get the ferry. Our kids loved ferry crossings when they were young, much better than flying, and it's a lot easier to drive than fly with young kids. Some great beaches on the north coast of Spain. Or for a much shorter crossing go somewhere like the Vendee in France or, as you like Cornwall, Brittany which is similar except less crowded, particularly if you go late August. Shouldn't be too hot there unlike the south of Spain/Portugal which will likely be roasting in August.
    Ferry will be more expensive than flying but you'll have a car so will give you much more freedom. Price of car hire has gone silly since COVID.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback