Do I have to give 8 weeks notice?

So got told yesterday being made redundant end of March.  So I asked boss can I look another job now? He told me I can but I have to give 8 weeks notice in order to get my redundancy, is this correct? It doesn’t say anything in my contract about this, if I’m leaving normally without redundancy taking into account I just have to give a weeks notice. I feel like this is to suit him, I’m there 8 years btw. 

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,345
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    n1guy said:
    So got told yesterday being made redundant end of March.  So I asked boss can I look another job now? He told me I can but I have to give 8 weeks notice in order to get my redundancy, is this correct? It doesn’t say anything in my contract about this, if I’m leaving normally without redundancy taking into account I just have to give a weeks notice. I feel like this is to suit him, I’m there 8 years btw. 
    If this is a genuine redundancy situation and you have been given notice that the termination date (under the redundancy) will be 31st March, then the company are saying there is work to be done up until that date.
    If you leave sooner of your own accord, then the company can say that you are not eligible for the redundancy.  These things can sometimes be negotiable.

As this was all announced yesterday, you are no doubt feeling rather "raw" and your boss may not have all the answers either.
    How large is the employer?
    How many are being made redundant?
    Was there a consultation period?
    Have you received the opportunity to apply for alternative roles in the business?
    Why is there a redundancy situation?
    Have you received details of what any redundancy payment will be?  Is it enhanced above statutory?
    Are you being offered a "settlement agreement"?
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 651
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    n1guy said:
    If this is a genuine redundancy situation and you have been given notice that the termination date (under the redundancy) will be 31st March, then the company are saying there is work to be done up until that date.
    If you leave sooner of your own accord, then the company can say that you are not eligible for the redundancy.  These things can sometimes be negotiable.

As this was all announced yesterday, you are no doubt feeling rather "raw" and your boss may not have all the answers either.
    Have you received the opportunity to apply for alternative roles in the business?
    Have you received details of what any redundancy payment will be?  Is it enhanced above statutory?
    We have some expert coming in today to discuss.  It’s only a small firm 6 employees, the boss is retiring so selling up.  The workload is being handed over to another firm on that date, I assume why he has said this is if one person leaves it leaves us unable to function so it’s to suit himself, on the other hand if I found another job now no employer is gonna wait on me 8 week.  We did get offered jobs in the other firm but it’s too far away to be suitable.  It will just be statutory redundancy terms, we ate min wage workers 
  • n1guy said:
    n1guy said:

We have some expert coming in today to discuss.  It’s only a small firm 6 employees, the boss is retiring so selling up.  The workload is being handed over to another firm on that date, I assume why he has said this is if one person leaves it leaves us unable to function so it’s to suit himself, on the other hand if I found another job now no employer is gonna wait on me 8 week.  We did get offered jobs in the other firm but it’s too far away to be suitable.  It will just be statutory redundancy terms, we ate min wage workers 
    Unfortunately that is often what you need to weigh up.  Take the new job with 1 weeks notice, but likely forfeit the redundancy as in effect you are resigning. Or work until end of March.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback