Martin Lewis: Energy wholesale rates have plummeted - here's how it'll impact your energy bills

MSE_Emily
MSE_Emily Posts: 180 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis looks at why energy bills continue to rise despite falls in the price of wholesale gas. In the latest episode of ITV's The Martin Lewis Money Show Live (watch the full episode) Martin also looks at what's in store for energy bills for the rest of 2023...

Read the full story:

Martin Lewis: Energy wholesale rates have plummeted - here's how it'll impact your energy bills

Comments

• Watched the Big Bills episode last night, good explanations of the issues of just reading the headlines about wholesale natural gas prices or inflation and expecting miracle bill reductions
    they aren’t coming!

Arch
  • Has anybody got a source for the 'wholesale' gas and electricity prices that OFgem uses for its price cap calculations? It seems like they hide behind a 'proprietary data supply' rendering their information sources difficult to audit. I am trying to replicate (approximately) their wholesale prices data feed, so as to be able to understand the issue on an ongoing basis if possible  
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2023 at 7:01PM
    I use this and basically assume they are purchasing 3 months ahead for the cap - the exact lag can be teased out of the ofgem announcements on their website when they consulted on moving to 3-monthly resets.

UK NBP Natural Gas Futures | ICE (theice.com)
    I think....
  • barker77
    barker77 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Would ofgem have to provide this under a FOIA request? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback