Have you been advised that you were on a fixed energy tariff and turns out you were not?

in Energy
12 replies 442 views
Joanne6630Joanne6630 Forumite
4 Posts
Second Anniversary First Post
In February 2022 I contacted my dual energy supplier to check the status of my tariffs.  They advised (and accept) that they told me it was fixed and there would be no price increases on the account.  On the back of their advice I did not change my tariff or move suppliers.
In April 2022 and October 2022, the tariff increased despite being told my tariff was fixed in February 2022.
Both the energy company and the energy ombudsman accept that we were advised incorrectly and have issued a £100 gesture of goodwill.
I believe our loss is greater that £100 on the back of the energy companies wrong advise/information and wondered if anybody else has pursued such an issue?

Replies

• edited 10 January at 4:37PM
    frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 10 January at 4:37PM
    Hi,
    can you work out what your bills would've been on the fixed tariff and compare to the increased tariffs?
    How much were you actually overcharged?

Y'all take care now.
  • AstriaAstria Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

I believe our loss is greater that £100 on the back of the energy companies wrong advise/information and wondered if anybody else has pursued such an issue?
    You 'believe' it's greater than £100, or you KNOW it's greater than £100 ?
    What would you have spent on the fixed tariff compared to the tariff you were actually put on?
    No company is going to just give you more money unless you can prove the amount that you have actually lost.

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you been advised that you were on a fixed energy tariff and turns out you were not?
    No.

I believe our loss is greater that £100 on the back of the energy companies wrong
    It should be very easily to calculate if that is the case and you shouldn't have to guess a figure.  What is your actual loss?

(ie. differences between unit price with your actual use in that period).

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Joanne6630Joanne6630 Forumite
    4 Posts
    I have submitted the energy bills showing the increase in tariff and demonstrated the loss.
    The Energy Ombudsman simply say they can not award the difference or make the supplier revert back to a tariff that no longer exists despite everyone accepting we were told our tariff was fixed.
    Should we have been told the tariff was not fixed we would have compared the market and got the best deal available at the time.
    As it stands we have no control over the tariff and the tariff continues to rise!

• elsienelsien Forumite
    29.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    How is the tariff continuing to rise? Are they not all capped at the moment?
    Might help if you share the name of the company and the tariff. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Joanne6630Joanne6630 Forumite
    4 Posts
    No, energy prices rose in April 2022 and October 2022.

I understand they will rise again April 2023.
  • MsttyMstty Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Please let us know the fixed price per kWh and standing charge you fixed at in Feb 2022, confirm if it was a one year or two year fix and your annual usage in kWh.

If you have already given this to the ombudsman you could have this easily to hand?
    Energy Provider Eon Next v18 2 year fixed ends April 2024 
    Energy Used Electricity only. Hoping to get down to 6000 kWh a year. 2022 worked out at 6234 kWh a year in a 4/5 bedroom detached house EPC high B. Designed not retro-fitted ASHP Mitsubishi Ecodan, under floor heating ground floor, radiators 1st floor. Multi-fuel burner in lounge.

Dyslexia sufferer don't be too harsh if I get things a bit topsy turdy.
  • CanNeverThinkOfAUsernameCanNeverThinkOfAUsername Forumite
    209 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I assume you are with Octopus? and this tariff is a fixed term and not a fixed unit price tariff?
  • AstriaAstria Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

They increased this month too, but the EPG was also increased.
    It will likely drop in price in April, but the EPG may also drop which could mean the end result is we'll pay more.
  • MsttyMstty Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Astria said:

They increased this month too, but the EPG was also increased.
    It will likely drop in price in April, but the EPG may also drop which could mean the end result is we'll pay more.
    Currently the OP is right energy prices will rise in April 2023 this is when the government subsidy only takes the notional average bill down to £3000 instead of the current £2500...in addition no council tax rebate of £150 for band D and lower and no £400 payment for all in October 2023.

Going to be a big shock to many.
    Energy Provider Eon Next v18 2 year fixed ends April 2024 
    Energy Used Electricity only. Hoping to get down to 6000 kWh a year. 2022 worked out at 6234 kWh a year in a 4/5 bedroom detached house EPC high B. Designed not retro-fitted ASHP Mitsubishi Ecodan, under floor heating ground floor, radiators 1st floor. Multi-fuel burner in lounge.

Dyslexia sufferer don't be too harsh if I get things a bit topsy turdy.