Cloud backup

Options
TELLIT01
TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
I'm looking for a system just to back up photo's and videos from my wife's Samsung phone.  Doesn't need to do anything other than that so I don't want to pay a fortune.  Any suggestions would be welcome as I don't have a scoobie.  I take photo's with a camera :D

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    If your wife has a Google account (or sets one up) then download the Google One app to the phone for 15GB of storage for free. More space can be purchased if needed. 
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android

More info above on how to get it done if you just want it for photos and videos
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• TELLIT01
    Options
    Thank you both.  Yes she has a Google account so that looks the simplest method.
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    Follow up question if I may.  If I increase the amount of storage on Google One to be greater than the storage capacity of the phone, will the images in backup be retained even if I clear them off the phone?
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How about a flash drive ?
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Follow up question if I may.  If I increase the amount of storage on Google One to be greater than the storage capacity of the phone, will the images in backup be retained even if I clear them off the phone?
    If they are in Google Photos (dedicated bit of Google One) then yes.
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion MikeJXE but I'm looking for a system which will automatically backup photos for my wife without any intervention from her.  I may be missing something but not all photo's are being backed up.  Many of her photo's come via Whatsapp and they aren't being copied. 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 January 2023 at 6:18PM
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Thanks for the suggestion MikeJXE but I'm looking for a system which will automatically backup photos for my wife without any intervention from her.  I may be missing something but not all photo's are being backed up.  Many of her photo's come via Whatsapp and they aren't being copied. 
    Make sure that in WhatsApp / Settings / Chats / Chat backup /   you have Google Drive setup together with how often you want this backup to occur.

I don't think that photos / videos from WhatsApp chats will go to Google Photots automatically. Can anyone confirm? 
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In the Backup settings in the Google Photos app there is an option to select which device folder are included in the image/photo backup.

This includes options for WhatsApp Images and WhatsApp videos
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    Thanks k_man.  I think I'm getting there - slowly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback