Possible lack of building certificates

Options
This is a bit of a technical one but perhaps someone might be familiar with this scenario and/or have helpful suggestions.

My step-mum lived in a council house since the 70's.
The property was originally pre-fabricated (war era) and was then "bricked up" by the council in the 90's.
She married my Dad and they bought it in the 90's from the council.
I have a recollection that he was not able to get a mortgage due to the lack of building certificates from the council.
I think he took a secured loan instead (although this was the 90's so I'm not certain).
They have both now passed away and we are looking to sell the property.
What steps can we take to investigate whether the property is mortgageable? as clearly that's a really important factor in the sale and the value.

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presumably it isn't a "one-off" - are there neighbouring houses which had similar work done to them? Are they selling easily and for normal prices? Do you know what sort of construction method was originally used?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2023 at 1:46PM
    Options
    It was the whole street.
    I believe they were concrete and then "bricked up" in 1995.
    My step-sister thinks they used halifax who provided mortgages for these types of properties.
    There isn't a lot of sale history which may be because many are still "council houses" and not privately owned.
    But the one that sold last year looks very close to our estimate for a mortgageable property.

Are there likely to be only certain mortgage companies who will lend on "bricked up" ex council properties?

We think builder may buy it as there is room to extend it into a larger house and turn a profit.

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It probably depends on exactly which type of construction - some are more acceptable than others.

Here's a guide, if any of these look a match: https://nonstandardhouse.com/various-houses-of-non-traditional-construction/
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm wondering how far we should/need to go on this?

I believe (as far as we can tell from 30 year old recollections) that they got a mortgage albeit from a specific bank that dealt with those type of properties. The situation may have changed either for the better or worse.

Right now I'm involved in funeral, probate, house clearance etc.
    I guess we have to ask and provide all information we have, but it's not our problem how a new buyer finances or where they get a mortgage (indirectly it's very much our problem).

As the property has potential for extending outwards and into the loft, we think there may be interest from builders.

• JMA74
    JMA74 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I do quite a lot of the pre-fab repaired properties. The valuer for the mortgage lender will expect to see the PRC Repair Certificate during the process.  Most lenders require any properties attached to also be repaired.  

Without the certificates you might have an issue but if its been long repaired I would probably just keep quiet until it comes up.  It may be that the lender doesnt request it as its been so long and it would be a non issue.   Dont invite problems in, just deal with them if they arise. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser 
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    I remember my Dad being furious because his own conveyancing solicitor at the time wanted to point it out to the mortgage company.
    We haven't been through all the paperwork yet or had everything from the solicitors.
    The house is so hoarded (they were tied up with hospital appointments in recent years) that there are drawers I can't even physically get to !
    Thanks for your advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure