Will my bill increase by inflation if my mobile contract started in January this year?

Will my bill increase by inflation if my mobile contract started in January this year?

I cant seem to find the information online. I remember when I started my EE contract in December a few years ago but my bill did not increase in the following April. I want to switch to Vodafone and was curious if it will be the same. If I'm looking at a near 14% inflation/CPI increase after only 3 months into a 24 month contract,, I will probably not take it out yet.

Thanks

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Almost certainly, that's probably what you will agree to in your T&Cs so if there is any difference it'l be in there.
  • As @Neil_Jones says, probably.

I renew my annual phone contract mid-April so that the price quoted will be that applying for 11.5 months. It might be worth continuing on your existing contract until then (unless EE want to impose a significant increase before then).
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You really need to check the T&C's for the contract that you are contemplating as nearly all of them are adding in the CPI+3.9% based on January's CPI figure.

As said above you could just hang on to your existing contract and wait to see what deals are available in April or hope that a really good deal now with a guesstimated 14% uplift might work out a bit cheaper. Worse come to the worse, get a short-term monthly SIM to tide you over

Do you really need an annual contract - do your sums to see if a PayGo or Sim only slution would suit you. Do you really need stupid amounts of data when you are out and about or could you get away with a lot less. Most people do end up paying for significantly more than they use
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the replies. Finally got through to Vodafone. They said even if I took out a contract near the end of march, I would still see a universal price rise the following week. That seems so stupid to me. Surely there would be a cut off point? I will just leave it for now or might try Smarty or Voxi on a monthly deal like mentioned above.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Matty36 said:
    Thanks for the replies. Finally got through to Vodafone. They said even if I took out a contract near the end of march, I would still see a universal price rise the following week. That seems so stupid to me. Surely there would be a cut off point? I will just leave it for now or might try Smarty or Voxi on a monthly deal like mentioned above.

So don't sign up at the end of March then.  Wait until April.  If you're in haggling territory you can haggle the CPI+3.9% rise back out of it if you play your cards right.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback