We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Follow the Yellow Brick Road 2023
Comments
-
I've been thinking about buying one for years now @Fortune_Smiles, and I've decided that the time is nearly here
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga2 -
SandyShores said:I've been thinking about buying one for years now @Fortune_Smiles, and I've decided that the time is nearly here
I've just bought one SS and I love it 😁 Wish I'd bought one years ago. Are you an experienced stitcher or a newbie like me?
Fortune x
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6623005/happy-days-in-our-golden-years/p1?new=1
Working at Living1 -
I'm far from experienced but I've done a few basic alterations such as shortening hems esp. charity shop finds. I've made about three blinds as well, far from perfect but its really enjoyable. My machine was a budget one from Argos a long time ago and it doesn't have a very good finish. Glad you love yours, which machine did you get @Fortune_Smiles? I'm thinking of a Bernina or Singer, hopefully not too expensive, but a bit more robust than the one I have now."Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga3 -
Great news on the sale and the planned use for the money.Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 20281 -
Thanks @savingholmes, I've just donated some to charity, it feels only right to share. But I've hopefully got another couple of things to sell as well.
Payday has come early this month, and I've managed to make a £1k overpayment today. According to my mortgage account I owed £1015 less than I did yesterday. Crikey that is a good saving. The only thing is I remembered something about the bank might take less of a mortgage payment if I pay extra before payment day. I'll keep an eye on that one as I may need to top it up - it should then recalculate the end date to September 2038 woohoo! Getting closer to hitting the £100,000s on the mortgage part. It great to see it come down.
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga5 -
That's a great overpaymentMortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 20222
-
Lovely OP.Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 20281 -
Excellent OP 👏🎉🎊
KKAs at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 69 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 26th September.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.2 -
SandyShores said:I'm far from experienced but I've done a few basic alterations such as shortening hems esp. charity shop finds. I've made about three blinds as well, far from perfect but its really enjoyable. My machine was a budget one from Argos a long time ago and it doesn't have a very good finish. Glad you love yours, which machine did you get @Fortune_Smiles? I'm thinking of a Bernina or Singer, hopefully not too expensive, but a bit more robust than the one I have now.
I took advice from all the lovely ladies of the WI @SandyShores. They recommended Janome. I went for mechanical (electric) rather than electronic because the mechanical model had everything I needed, there's less to go wrong with them and they are more easily repaired. Plus it was about £100 cheaper! This is the one I got. Not the cheapest but will take me from beginner to intermediate. It's the updated version of the one they used on S£wing B££. I bought from JL because I had some vouchers. I'm really happy with it.
Sounds as though you are more experienced than me - I'm a complete novice 😊 I got this book for my birthday which has really helped - it covers everything 😁 You can get it on the Bay for about £5.
Fortune x
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6623005/happy-days-in-our-golden-years/p1?new=1
Working at Living3 -
Thanks @Fortune_Smiles, that looks a great machine. Mechanical suits me perfectly and thats a good price. I should be able to afford that one and get my car serviced this month. That book - it looks very similar to one I already have - I think its the earlier edition. I'll have a look in the morning

edit - and if its good enough for sewingbee it will be good enough for me !
These are the two I've also been looking at: https://singeroutlet.co.uk/products/singer-heavy-duty-4411-sewing-machine
and
https://singeroutlet.co.uk/products/bernette-by-bernina-b35-sewing-machine-3-dial-controls-drop-feed-for-free-motion-embroidery-auto-threader-sale-price-outlet-recommended-buy
Thanks Moneyfordreams, savingholmes and Kajikita
ps @Fortune_Smiles how did you show the URL as 'This' - this used to be an option on the old MSE but when I click the link button now there's nowhere to put the name?"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £161k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



