Aged parent in dire straits with energy costs

Options
Rimkh2
Rimkh2 Posts: 23 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 January 2023 at 10:58AM in Energy
My 93 year old father lives on his own in a small 2 bed terraced house. He is currently on a dual fuel contract with edf, paying £200.00 per month. His account is over £600.00 in credit. He lives solely on a state pension of £160.00 per week. Edf have recently called him and told him from 1st January this will increase to £400.00 per month. That is £4800.00 per year for a single pensioner in a small house. He will be unable to keep paying within a few months. Help!!

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you check his usage and calculate what he is using and does it match with his bills ? He should be reading his meter every month or even week. Also check the meter number corresponds with the number on the bill. 
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 January 2023 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Agree with above advice... please check readings and their bills... and also that the meters are correct for the account. It does sound very high and EDF might be using too high a DD amount for actual usage.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Rimkh2
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I have recently visited him and tried to get to the bottom of the issue. He has a smart meter for electricity. That was reading around £14.00 for the previous weeks usage. The unit cost is about to double as he comes off his fixed deal. That will amount to around £120.00 per month. His gas is a little trickier, but I read his meter over a 24hr period. The charge for gas is expressed on the bill in kWh. The meter counts cubic metres. A little research and I found a rough conversion method. That will come in at around £200.00 per month. He only runs a small gas fire, no boiler, but is home all day. All other heating and hot water is electric. This is winter so max usage time. I estimate his max consumption should be around £350.00 at January prices. I have the impression he has been a little exploited by the telesales person. A fairer rate would be around £300.00 per month. This is still way above the Government’s advised energy cap average.
  • Rimkh2
    Options
    My brother has been looking into the care issues. Father has two visits per week from Age Uk, at a cost of £18.00 per visit. £150.00 per month. On top of his energy costs there is not much room left to eat.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    As you've been well advised here on benefits he may be entitled to, try posting on thr energy section for specific energy guidance. 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/energy
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    Rimkh2 said:
     The charge for gas is expressed on the bill in kWh. The meter counts cubic metres. A little research and I found a rough conversion method.
    I believe a ball park figure is £3.25 a unit plus service charge, that tally with your research?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2023 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Unless your father has significant savings, why is he paying AgeUK for care visits?
    If he doesn't have much money as you say he should qualify for care funded in part or full via Local Authority.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-homecare/

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Rimkh2 said:
    Thank you for your replies. I have recently visited him and tried to get to the bottom of the issue. He has a smart meter for electricity. That was reading around £14.00 for the previous weeks usage. The unit cost is about to double as he comes off his fixed deal. That will amount to around £120.00 per month. His gas is a little trickier, but I read his meter over a 24hr period. The charge for gas is expressed on the bill in kWh. The meter counts cubic metres. A little research and I found a rough conversion method. That will come in at around £200.00 per month. He only runs a small gas fire, no boiler, but is home all day. All other heating and hot water is electric. This is winter so max usage time. I estimate his max consumption should be around £350.00 at January prices. I have the impression he has been a little exploited by the telesales person. A fairer rate would be around £300.00 per month. This is still way above the Government’s advised energy cap average. 
    If his true cost is way over the average it'll be because electric heating is the most expensive form - what exactly does he use?  It's difficult to calculate an annual cost from the most expensive / highest usage period, can you find out his actual annual usage?
    Do also check that his bills are using actual smart readings, not estimates (it happens).

Why do you think a telesales person has exploited him?  If his fixed deal is half the current cap rate then presumably he'll be going into the standard variable once that finishes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback