Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Fundraising for multiple charities

Options
Hi,

I am a disabled veteran and have received a lot of help from various Veterans’s  charities, and because of my inability to work I will continue to rely on them for the rest of my life. Something that does not sit comfortably with me. I would like to try and repay their generosity by doing some fundraising.

I have had the idea of doing a series of online pub quizzes using zoom or MS Teams to host them. I would do one a month, each one benefitting a different charity. There would be an entrance fee of £5, for the first person and £2 for each person after, with the option to make a donation at their discretion. There would be a prize of 20% of the total value of entrance fees excluding any donations, unless I can get the charity to donate some goodies for prizes which I would post at my own expense to the winners. 

I am quite happy with writing the questions and creating multiple rounds. I intend to deliver the questions verbally, but would back this up with PowerPoint slides using screen share to avoid people asking for the question to be repeated or asking what question we are on. There would also be opportunity in between questions for a bit of banter to help create a good atmosphere and enjoyable evening for everyone. I am thinking of doing 4-5 rounds with 10 questions in each round. I hope it would last 60-90 minutes, depending on how carried away we get with the banter.

What I don't know how to do is manage the money in a way that is transparent for anyone who wants to ensure I keep everything above board. How do I collect the entrance fees and donations? How do I pay out the prize money? Is it okay for people to transfer money to my bank account using a specific reference which would appear on my bank statement, and then once the quiz is completed and I have paid the prize, I donate the remaining monies to the charity? Is there an easier way to do this? I have a Just Giving account but I don't think it will allow me to pay someone prize money. 

Any advice with regards to gathering money, or doing an online quiz please drop me a comment.

Thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't help with the money side of things, I'm afraid, but one thing you should know is that if you are fundraising for a particular charity, you should contact them beforehand and, effectively, ask their permission to use their name. 

It would be rare for them to refuse, but some might prefer to avoid pub quizzes. 

If they're happy, they should be able to provide information leaflets, and - if you'd like it - they may be able to send a 'two minute speaker' for the interval. Plus they may well publicise the event and you'll get their supporters along, who may sign up for the next event. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure