Barclays Current Account Application - invited to book an appointment with a Community Banker

I applied for a Barclays current account yesterday. 

At the finish of the application process the following message appeared on screen:

Thank you for your application.
We're sorry but an error has prevented your account from being opened online.

What happens next?
We've sent your details to our processing team who'll complete your application.

We'll be in touch within 5 business days to give you an update.

When I checked email a few minutes later there was an email from Barclays with this:

Thank you for your application.

We're reviewing your details and this can take up to 48 hours on a business day.

What happens next?

If you haven't already, you'll need to book an appointment with one of our Community Bankers who'll be able to help you complete your application. Use our branch finder to find your nearest branch.

You'll need to bring some proof of identity and address to your appointment.

Proof of identity:

Full and valid passport
Full driver's licence(photocard only)
National identity card (centrally issued photocard only)*
and

Proof of address:

Full UK driver's licence (photocard only), if you're not using it to prove your identity
UK bank, mortgage or credit card statement that's less than 3 months old
Utility bill that's less than 3 months old (we can't accept any type of mobile phone bill)
Council tax bill for the current financial year
If you don't have any of these, get in touch to find out what other forms of ID we accept.

Please don't try to apply again online without first getting advice on the status of your application from your Community Banker.

Your Barclays Team

*We accept centrally issued national identity photocards. Please note, we are therefore currently unable to accept Greek and Romanian national identity photocards.

How would this application appear on my credit file(s)? I mean, it's not a rejection, I need to make an appointment with a community banker and take ID with me. In this case, does it mean I passed the credit check?

If I had failed the credit check there'd be little or no point in asking me to make an appointment with a community banker.

I already have access to my credit file with the main credit reference agencies, through various websites (e.g. MSE creditclub, clearscore, TotallyMoney etc.). However, they do take a while to appear on there as I'm on the generic plan. 

Was wondering if any members here knew, before I start seeing the result on my credit file. 

Replies

• MorningcoffeeIVMorningcoffeeIV Forumite
    597 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It'll simply show as a search. Results are not shown on credit files.
  • OceanSoundOceanSound Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It'll simply show as a search. Results are not shown on credit files.
    Presumably, it will show as a hard search (as opposed to a soft search)?
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi, it seems to me that you have passed their credit check and now you just need to confirm your identity, in person. They need to see that it's actually you on any photo ID you have. It's a big faff. But there are so many scammers out there now, opening accounts for dishonest purposes, money laundering, etc. that they have to be very careful.

It happened to me when I applied and was accepted for an account with Halifax.They needed me to 'please attend at branch' to show them all my IDs. Not a big deal, just their formality. 

It is something that some banks do and it's nothing to fear - they don't usually make appointments with people they have rejected - they don't have the time.

They will have done a hard search - and in your case, it seems that they liked what they saw. You may as well carry on with the application process now you've come this far.

Good luck! And also a Happy New Year.   :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MrFrugalFeverMrFrugalFever Forumite
    824 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The way I interpret their message is that your information hasn’t been able to be churned through their automated algorithm process to determine a definitive outcome and therefore is being reviewed by a human being. I imagine that a ‘hard search’ would have been recorded instantly regardless and your application is not definitely approved.
    Save £12k in 2023 challenge

Jan = £715 / £1,000 Feb = £1,275 Mar = £400  (fallen behind will make up in April)
    Apr = £ May = £ Jun = £
    Jul = £ Aug = £ Sept = £
    Oct = £ Nov = £ Dec = £

Saved Total = £1,990 / £12,000
  • edited 5 January at 6:55PM
    OceanSoundOceanSound Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 6:55PM
    The way I interpret their message is that your information hasn’t been able to be churned through their automated algorithm process to determine a definitive outcome and therefore is being reviewed by a human being. I imagine that a ‘hard search’ would have been recorded instantly regardless and your application is not definitely approved.
    I checked my credit file through the TotallyMoney App. They use transunion credit reference agency data. 

Turns out I can see the searches pretty quickly and they do not 'take a while to appear' (as I initially thought). The record comes up as Barclays having done a soft search for anti-Money Laundering.

I also checked MSE creditclub (which uses Experian). The Barclays search is shown under Searches that do NOT impact your Credit Score.

It shows these details:

Details of Search

Application Type: Identification: Generic Check
    Entry Code: [redacted]

Then checked clearscore (who I believe uses Equifax). There is no entry at all. Mind you the latest entry on there is 24 December 2022. Don't know if it takes a while to appear. Doubt it. Even if it does appear soon, doesn't make sense for search to appear as soft searches on two credit reference agencies and a hard search on the other one. 

update (06.01.2023): My clearscore report was generated yesterday. Had a and this is what it said: 

"Soft searches
    A soft search will appear on your report when you browse for credit products, or when you check your own report. They're only visible to you and do not affect your score.

Details
    BARCLAYS BANK PLC
    1 search - Latest on 29th December 2022

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details
    CLEARSCORE TECHNOLOGY LTD
    13 searches - Latest on 28th December 2022

Details "

So, it's registered as a soft search on all three credit reference agencies. 

p.s. I cannot seem to be able to use the quote feature right now, so used quotation marks to ( " ) indicate quoted from website (clearscore).