"No date, helps reduce waste" For whose benefit is this?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sarah1972 said:

If people really want the freshest and best value then a greengrocer or market is the way to go or as my Nan does, buy frozen, other than salad items. 

Personally I love the idea as we never had best before dates on veg when I was growing up so not sure why people obsess about it nowadays. 
    the greengrocer is dearer than the supermarket where I live.
    The market? not thriving , and difficult to carry heavy shopping from there if you don't walk well.
    .Supermarket wins hands down as you can park freely almost outside the door

Times have moved on since you were growing up. No there weren't dates on things then... but there are now. It's called progress!!  The problem is most of the older generation know that the date is (generally) just a guide line, they know about smelling things, looking at things for mould... and if looks alright and smells alright then it's fine to eat. 
     Younger ones have grown up with dates and they believe everything they read. I do know of folk who throw things away the day before the date arrives. More money than sense.

Fortunately we are entitled to our own opinions.
     I prefer that the date is there.
    I don't go throwing things away: if you were brought up with very little money it usually colours your judgement as an adult.
    (Oh, and no, I don't want frozen veg- I want fresh- the freezer is saved for other things!)
    Please be careful. You cannot see, smell or taste listeria or salmonella on food.  This is particularly important with things like ham and other cooked meats.  At its best you will be ill for a few days, at its worst it is fatal.  Pay careful attention to the dates 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sarah1972 said:

If people really want the freshest and best value then a greengrocer or market is the way to go or as my Nan does, buy frozen, other than salad items. 

Personally I love the idea as we never had best before dates on veg when I was growing up so not sure why people obsess about it nowadays. 
    the greengrocer is dearer than the supermarket where I live.
    The market? not thriving , and difficult to carry heavy shopping from there if you don't walk well.
    .Supermarket wins hands down as you can park freely almost outside the door

Times have moved on since you were growing up. No there weren't dates on things then... but there are now. It's called progress!!  The problem is most of the older generation know that the date is (generally) just a guide line, they know about smelling things, looking at things for mould... and if looks alright and smells alright then it's fine to eat. 
     Younger ones have grown up with dates and they believe everything they read. I do know of folk who throw things away the day before the date arrives. More money than sense.

Fortunately we are entitled to our own opinions.
     I prefer that the date is there.
    I don't go throwing things away: if you were brought up with very little money it usually colours your judgement as an adult.
    (Oh, and no, I don't want frozen veg- I want fresh- the freezer is saved for other things!)
    Please be careful. You cannot see, smell or taste listeria or salmonella on food.  This is particularly important with things like ham and other cooked meats.  At its best you will be ill for a few days, at its worst it is fatal.  Pay careful attention to the dates 
    That’s the difference with a USE BY date where there is a risk of things like that. 
    This discussion is more about items where there wouldn’t normally be a date (fruit and veg) or where eating it past the best before date is likely to be obvious it’s past it’s best like bread. 
  • swampduck
    Options
    I'm on the fence about dating stuff as even purchases bought well within date have had the odd rotten item in there.

But last year we decided to have a go at growing our own (on a very small scale!) and grew Tomatoes, Spring onions, Strawberries and Potatoes.

We were disappointed with the strawberries but have not given up and have planted up runners hoping for a bigger harvest and bigger strawberries. Tomatoes did well from only three plants, Spring onions were a real success and we know now to stagger sowing these and Potatoes grown in bags were a surprising winner - lots of small ones which were a nuisance to peel but the over-riding thing with growing your own is how long and how well they keep in comparison to shop bought produce.

We still have some potatoes which have lasted well having been stored correctly and finished the spring onions over Xmas from harvesting in the autumn.

This has now highlighted to me how long stuff is stored by the supermarkets which then goes off rapidly once in the stores. So this year we will be looking around for a local farm shop in the hope of fresher produce and I buy a lot of frozen veg because it annoys me when fresh goes off so quickly.

We only have a small garden and himself has made some planters ready for this years' hopeful harvest. So give it go - you never know!
    Expect the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes!!:o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure