"No date, helps reduce waste" For whose benefit is this?

Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 December 2022 at 8:24PM
    Options
    I don’t think it can be the date packed, not in Tesco at least - I bought  broccoli on Tuesday (27th) which shows L29 (29th December?) and another yesterday (29th) showing A03 (3rd Jan?) - still it’s useful to know 

2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarah1972 said:

If people really want the freshest and best value then a greengrocer or market is the way to go or as my Nan does, buy frozen, other than salad items. 

Personally I love the idea as we never had best before dates on veg when I was growing up so not sure why people obsess about it nowadays. 
    the greengrocer is dearer than the supermarket where I live.
    The market? not thriving , and difficult to carry heavy shopping from there if you don't walk well.
    .Supermarket wins hands down as you can park freely almost outside the door

Times have moved on since you were growing up. No there weren't dates on things then... but there are now. It's called progress!!  The problem is most of the older generation know that the date is (generally) just a guide line, they know about smelling things, looking at things for mould... and if looks alright and smells alright then it's fine to eat. 
     Younger ones have grown up with dates and they believe everything they read. I do know of folk who throw things away the day before the date arrives. More money than sense.

Fortunately we are entitled to our own opinions.
     I prefer that the date is there.
    I don't go throwing things away: if you were brought up with very little money it usually colours your judgement as an adult.
    (Oh, and no, I don't want frozen veg- I want fresh- the freezer is saved for other things!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I didn't necessarily mean that 'progress' was a good thing... it certainly isn't always.
    But times, lifestyles, work practices etc have all moved on.

The point is that in the past many more women weren't working outside the home, they expected to go shopping regularly, even daily. Smaller grocery chains were available like International/ Liptons and greengrocers shops were the norm. Stock was therefore rotated, things didn't need to last a long time if they were going to be cooked/ eaten that day or the next.  

Nowadays many folk shop just once a week, they don't want fruit & veg to go off in that time period therefore they look for items that have a good date. 

Don't ask me how some folk stick rigidly to the dates. It's a system that has misfired. (A bit like the government telling us that we should all buy diesel cars?)

and no, I still don't want loads of frozen veg in my freezer. Frozen peas are fine but broccoli? cauliflower? 

Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not dating dairy could be dangerous (there was talk of that happening at some point) as you have no way to know the condition of milk, cream or yoghurts; you can see mould in cheese through packaging though.
    Not great for online ordering when you could have a lot of your fruit and veg past date and the supermarket gets away with it..
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

I didn't necessarily mean that 'progress' was a good thing... it certainly isn't always.
    But times, lifestyles, work practices etc have all moved on.

The point is that in the past many more women weren't working outside the home, they expected to go shopping regularly, even daily. Smaller grocery chains were available like International/ Liptons and greengrocers shops were the norm. Stock was therefore rotated, things didn't need to last a long time if they were going to be cooked/ eaten that day or the next.  

I think in many ways 'progress' has not been a good thing. Where progress has meant that a 'housewife' has become almost extinct (and I'm not being sexist), both husband and wife these days need to work, a house is unaffordable for many, and a family is an endangered species. Thanks Katie  :)

• dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Bacman ...
    Bacman said:
    Not great for online ordering when you could have a lot of your fruit and veg past date and the supermarket gets away with it..
    An awful lot of the reviews of supermarkets on Trustpilot have complained about shortdated stock delivered to them in the last year, what better than to remove the offending date? Call me an old cynic  ;)

• alicef
    alicef Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve never seen dates on loose veg in a supermarket 
    The info should be on the side of the large box holding the loose veg/fruit.  Of course if the remnants of an older box is tipped into a newer one then it is a moot point.
    Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure