Price almost doubled before 2 for 1 offer!

Options
Opoponax
Opoponax Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 29 December 2022 at 3:06PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Went to buy Dove Roll-On deodorant in Superdrug on a 2 for 1 offer. Unit price had increased to £2.95. It is available in other stores at full price from £1.55 to £1.80. How can they justify this! Didn't bother to check any other offers.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You dont mention any other stores offers so whats for them to check? They are under cutting them slightly but ensuring people buy two 
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,934 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 December 2022 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Opoponax said:
    Went to buy Dove Roll-On deodorant in Superdrug on a 2 for 1 offer. Unit price had increased to £2.95. It is available in other stores at full price from £1.55 to £1.80. How can they justify this! Didn't bother to check any other offers.
    So you can get it in other stores for £1.55 to £1.80 each.

Superdrug is bogof so 2 for £2.95 which makes Superdrug the cheapest. 

It’s an incentive to buy 2 which anyone would as it works out at £1.48 each which is cheaper than your cheapest quote.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2022 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Common retail marketing tactic, the marketing experts think the public are mugs - and to be honest they are pretty much correct. When I worked in retail we used to call our half price sale the £10 off sale as that was what it actually was.  We knew which items would be in the next sale well in advance because of the price increases.  It was hard work trying to advise customers not to buy the items when they were convinced that the item that was £50 dearer than another must be better when it had actually almost doubled in price so it could be half priced to "£10" below its usual price, the cheaper one at that time was in fact far better.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are there different sizes or contents for Dove roll on?  It’s £1 in both Asda and Tesco and even Waitrose has it for £1.30.  That seems a massive difference for the same product.  I’ve always found places like Superdrug and Boots can be a lot dearer for toiletries than supermarkets.  
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not different sizes. those are all 50ml roll on deodorant, so clearly Tesco & Asda are the place to buy them!

I do find Superdrug are very hit and miss even with the buy 1 get 1 free prices.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback