Underpayment from uc but debt from old tax credits claim.

Hi there
I have applied for backdate carers element on my uc account. My carees gp has written a note to support why I didn't claim previously. IF and clearly its a big if. I get it backdated. Is there anyway I can avoid every bit of it being taken towards a old tax credit debt im paying?

Its from a claim when I was a single mum
I've had 2 more children since and we are really struggling. We are behind with priority debts and the children need loads of basic things. Im with stepchange 

Can I ask for this to be a consideration if it gets back dated

Also would you wait till you know or call debt management to pre warn

Thankyou so much for reading

This could make a big difference to a family of 6


  • hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Any underpayment would be referred to DWP Debt Management and the Case Managers in the UC Service Centre would not have a choice, if they followed the correct process. I think it is only Housing underpayments, where they cannot refer the underpayment to Debt Management.

    So at the point where the underpayment is referred to Debt Management, you could contact Debt Management about this and see what they are able to do.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools