Fraudulent Payments taken from my RBS (Child & Co) Account

Options

A Heads-Up for anyone who might not have checked their accounts yesterday (27/12) or this morning (28/12)

There have been two fraudulent payments taken from my RBS (Child & Co) Select account, using my debit card number with payments to two companies in Brazil of all places.

The first for 500 BRL was mid-evening yesterday. I was very fortunate in that I was checking my phone for something else, when the alert came through. I reported it within 5 minutes and spoke with someone in the 'Out Of Hours Team' and froze the card in-app. I was advised to phone the number on the back of the card this am.

A second payment - for double the first - was taken overnight, putting my Select Account into overdraft.

At 8:00 am this morning,I managed to get throught to talk with someone on the 'Fraud Team' quite quickly. Although clearly wanting to get things done swiftly, she was extremely helpful and very re-assuring, cancelled the card and said a new one would be re-issued within 5 days. I was happy with how it was dealt with.

The money has gone but I will be reimbursed

When I queried how this could have happened, she gave me the impression that there had been a targetting of RBS accounts over the last couple of days, which they were aware of and dealing with.

If you have an RBS account (Child or otherwise) it might be worth monitoring a bit more carefully for a few days.

Best Wishes,
David

£6000 in 2023

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2022 at 2:56PM
    Options
     Sorry to hear this happened and glad to hear it’s been resolved. 

However don’t you think the branch you’re holding your account at is a little over egged? This could happen to any account at any bank and the specific branch is irrelevant. 

A more informative title might have perhaps been “Recent fraud targeting RBS accounts”?
  • brucefan_2
    brucefan_2 Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March at 4:36PM
    Options
     Sorry to hear this happened and glad to hear it’s been resolved. 

However don’t you think the branch you’re holding your account at is a little over egged? This could happen to any account at any bank and the specific branch is irrelevant. 

A more informative title might have perhaps been “Recent fraud targeting RBS accounts”?
    I had thought that by putting the particular branch in question in brackets in the title following the RBS moniker that it would draw attention to RBS first and by implication suggest that this could have happened to any such account.

I'm glad the heads-up was potentially of use to you.

Best Wishes,
    David
    £6000 in 2023
  • trient
    trient Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 December 2022 at 1:29AM
    Options
    This being the account you opened 6 days ago? That's terribly, terribly unlucky, if nothing else.
  • brucefan_2
    Options
    trient said:
    This being the account you opened 6 days ago? That's terribly, terribly unlucky, if nothing else.

No, I've had this account for a number of years now - it receives regular payments in from a small number of sources and feeds a regular saver.

Card not actually used 'in the wild' since Covid put a stop to travelling down to London to visit my daughter in London, who has since moved.

Best Wishes,
    David

£6000 in 2023
  • brucefan_2
    Options
    A brief update for anyone interested.

A big hats-off to RBS. Funds fraudulently taken Tuesday evening and overnight Tuesday/Wednesday reimbursed to my account this afternoon (Thursday).

I don't have huge experience of any of the major the banks' customer services, never really had to use them before (and would have preferred not to have done so on this occasion).

The phone conversations I had with a couple of the fraud teams were efficient and re-assuring and I have been impressed with their handling of the situation since I first contacted them.

Best Wishes,
    David
    £6000 in 2023
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family