EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

Switching to First Direct. Will any old current account do?

edited 21 December 2022 at 5:00PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
27 replies 1.4K views

Replies

• Band7Band7 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MrCreaky said:
      I had one that closed about 12 years ago - surely they can't keep personal information for that long?  
    They can, and do.

As above, though - try it, may be you strike lucky.
  • edited 2 January at 7:20PM
    KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 January at 7:20PM
    WillPS said:
    I would be inclined to put some more money in so it looks like a 'real' bank account!
    I tend to put an odd amount of pence to the old account (in addition to the amount required to satisfy the switch requirements, if any) so I can see at-a-glance that the switch has completed.

Nowt to do with looking 'real' though. Any bank account which has progressed to the final stages of a CASS switch out process is real.
    Do you think if there's £1000 in the account being switched, that qualifies as having paid in £1000?

Or maybe I just just have a transfer balance of a few pounds, and then manually transfer £1000 in.
    No, that's what I answered before, and I still stand by that.
    Just have a few £s at transfer.
    Far better to pay in the £1000 (even in dribs & drabs) and then you can be sure you have met the t&cs

I have done loads of switches and never had one refused or 'welcome handshake' with held. If it says pay in £xxx by a certain date that is exactly what I have done
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022 Stash busting: in 2023. 23 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 9 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 6 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 12 cards = total 92 ...£3.98 spent
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    7K Posts
    Forumite
    MrCreaky said:
      I had one that closed about 12 years ago - surely they can't keep personal information for that long? 
    Thanks anyone for helping.
    First Direct have exceedingly long memories.
    You may not get the welcome bonus- but you would get access to the regular saver....
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022 Stash busting: in 2023. 23 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 9 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 6 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 12 cards = total 92 ...£3.98 spent
  • eastcorkrameastcorkram Forumite
    501 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    WillPS said:
    I would be inclined to put some more money in so it looks like a 'real' bank account!
    I tend to put an odd amount of pence to the old account (in addition to the amount required to satisfy the switch requirements, if any) so I can see at-a-glance that the switch has completed.

Nowt to do with looking 'real' though. Any bank account which has progressed to the final stages of a CASS switch out process is real.
    Do you think if there's £1000 in the account being switched, that qualifies as having paid in £1000?

Or maybe I just just have a transfer balance of a few pounds, and then manually transfer £1000 in.
    Far better to pay in the £1000 (even in dribs & drabs) and then you can be sure you have met the t&cs

I have done loads of switches and never had one refused or 'welcome handshake' with held. If it says pay in £xxx by a certain date that is exactly what I have done
    Ok. Thanks. I've just moved money around. I'm going to attempt to start this switch tomorrow. After last time, I've no confidence in it being successful! I'll report back either way.

I also have a savings account with Nationwide. I can't see any way of closing this down on the app. 
  • Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    WillPS said:

Ok. Thanks. I've just moved money around. I'm going to attempt to start this switch tomorrow. After last time, I've no confidence in it being successful! I'll report back either way.

I also have a savings account with Nationwide. I can't see any way of closing this down on the app. 

I don't think you can close Nationwide accounts on the app, but you can on their website. 
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    WillPS said:

You don't need any money in the account at transfer. You could even have an overdraft if First Direct have agreed one
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    7K Posts
    Forumite
    Re the Nationwide savings- you may need to move the money out to/ through your current a/c- that's what often happens and the if current account is switched the savings are stranded! (This might not be the case with NW - just get the money out!)
    Many thanks
    501 Posts
    Forumite
    WillPS said:

Well, I'm not sure that went well. Despite me trying to use the switch to us option. At no point was switching mentioned during the joining process. They didn't ask me about account I want to switch from. They didn't ask about a switch date.

It almost looks as though, I've just set up a new current account, but the last thing just said more checks needed, and if all is ok, we'll open your new account and send your welcome pack. 

Also mentioned that due to backlog, and strikes, it can take 15 days for them to respond. So not sure how the 7 day switch is meant to work.

Oh well, if it just opens as a new account and switching isn't offered, I'll just close it down.

Also, people who switch , what do you say when asked will your salary be paid in? I said no (it isn't a requirement), but think that may be the stumbling block?
  • flaneurs_lobsterflaneurs_lobster Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Let the FD account open and then request a switch, the two operations do not need to be contiguous. The only problem might be that FD withdraw the switch bonus offer before you get the request in, but, hey-ho.

Every bank will have their own eligibility criteria for a particular account, when I opened a FD account I answered that salary question "No" and it wasn't an issue. Of course YMMV, they do a hard check for their new accounts. 
    501 Posts
    Forumite
    Let the FD account open and then request a switch, the two operations do not need to be contiguous. The only problem might be that FD withdraw the switch bonus offer before you get the request in, but, hey-ho.

Every bank will have their own eligibility criteria for a particular account, when I opened a FD account I answered that salary question "No" and it wasn't an issue. Of course YMMV, they do a hard check for their new accounts. 
    Ok. Will sit back and wait to see what happens. If it's going to take 15 days between communications, there's a good chance they'll pull it before I get in! Oh well, my fault for not doing it earlier.