ET case: Employer has not released all documents in disclosure.. what to do? HELP!

Options
Hi,

Friend has a case heading to ET and is in the disclosure part of the case.

As part of that there has to be disclosure of documents by the employer. The employers (via solicitors) have released very little information, it's just basically the personnel file of this individual and a handful of emails between him and his managers. So basically nothing.

Some of the things he complains about are:-
(1) being paid below workers of a different gender/race,
(2) differences in the amount of workload favouring workers of a different race/gander and
(3) being given a bad reference for a new job compared to people of different race/gender.

So for disclosure it would be expected that in response to the above the employers solicitor would KNOW that the employer has to release:-

(1) pay details for members of staff of different race/gender
(2) work rosters of different race/gender
(3) references this manager completed for other staff of different race/gender

But all he has been sent is his personnel file and a few emails he sent his managers. Surely this is not adequate disclosure!? The trial date is set for in 10 weeks and it looks like the employer has not disclosed information to hamstring my friend and not give him any information that could help him. 

Can he ask employer for specific information to release and how to do it? Via court or write to employer direct?

Can he get the trial date delayed so he has time to process the above information?

Any other advice you guys can give?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,695 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is a "Hearing" rather than a "Trial".

If your friend is making claims of "unfair" treatment then it is for them to provide the evidence that supports their claim, not expect the other side to provide this evidence.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

As part of that there has to be disclosure of documents by the employer. The employers (via solicitors) have released very little information, it's just basically the personnel file of this individual and a handful of emails between him and his managers. So basically nothing.

(2) differences in the amount of workload favouring workers of a different race/gander and
    (3) being given a bad reference for a new job compared to people of different race/gender.

So for disclosure it would be expected that in response to the above the employers solicitor would KNOW that the employer has to release:-

But all he has been sent is his personnel file and a few emails he sent his managers. Surely this is not adequate disclosure!? The trial date is set for in 10 weeks and it looks like the employer has not disclosed information to hamstring my friend and not give him any information that could help him. 

Can he ask employer for specific information to release and how to do it? Via court or write to employer direct?

Can he get the trial date delayed so he has time to process the above information?

I think you'll find that what the employer's solicitors know is that disclosure isn't a fishing expedition to see what the employer is willing to revea!

Possibly best to refer your friend to ACAS, who can give general advice (and presumably have already been involved) on process etc.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • SChitmehard
    Options
    pinkshoes said:

Surely the evidence for these is your friends own evidence to be able to make such a claim in the first place?

E.g. how do they know they're being paid less? And how on earth do they know what other peoples job references say?!?!?!

Point 2 and the workload - surely they have their own photo or screenshot of everyone's rota to make this claim?

Regarding point 1 - a company can pay what they like and it's up to the individual to negotiate. I was paid less than the male engineers in one job but that's my fault for not negotiating as well, not because I was female. 
    Paid less: information came from conversations with staff members. How would my friend get their payslips from colleagues to prove this - I wouldn't give someone my payslip! But it's very easy for the employer to provide information as to what they pay male/female for the same job (and yes I get it's also about negotiation) to win on this point so why not just do it (and redact the names).

References: Friend thinks manager gave him a crap reference compared to others of a different gander/race on purpose. Again the employer can disprove this easily in the same way. Get the past 1/2/3 references that manager has given and disprove this point.

Workload: Employer has an electronic system so can easily do a data dump of the rosters going back 1-2 years to disprove my friends case, so why not just copy the work rosters on a flash drive and send them across?

This is what the whole disclosure process is meant to be about I thought. That the employer is meant to release information that supports or refutes the case of my friend and hence if they provide this information at an early stage and then the case can be discontinued if necessary.

But the employer has not provided any information, just printed out my friends personnel record and a couple of emails between him and his manager about workload. 

If anyone has been through this process and can shed a bit of light on the questions :

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have thought that if a SAR was submitted then the employer would have had to release everything about the individual - not just a personnel file and a small selection of emails.  It would need to be every single document the company has where he is mentioned.  This could very well include any emails back and forth discussing shifts, work policy, 1 - 1s, any email he has ever sent and any email ever sent to him. 

It would not include anything where someone says "let's pay all blokes who are this colour or from country X 10% less" as that's not specific to him, even if it is illegal.  It would include a list of everyone in the department and their agreed payrises/bonuses/shifts but with everyone else's name removed - so possibly not much actual help.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I will only comment on the reference.  There is no practical way to compare references as they are specific to the individual.  The 'friend' will have great difficulty providing evidence of the performance of others who worked for the organisation and proving that their reference did not accurately reflect that.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 December 2022 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Hi,

Hi, I have been through two Tribunals and can advise that it is NOT your friend's responsibility to ensure that the employer has disclosed the relevant documents.

All your friend has to do is prepare his own case as best he can, If he needs to refer to the employer's documents but is unable to do so, then he has to say that on hearing day, if it gets that far.

As Marcon, above, has suggested twice, your friend needs some guidance from acas.

I used acas both times for my tribunals and although they cannot give any legal advice, they CAN advise about the things your friend needs to know. 

https://www.acas.org.uk/contact

They really can help. If a date for the hearing (not a trial, as lincroft1710 has said) has been set, then the court will have all the details. It's up to the employer now to get cracking. If they don't, then things are going to look bad for them, which is better for your friend. Your friend needs to do everything he can to prepare for the hearing. The employer also has to do that. Whether the employer does it correctly or not is nothing to do with your friend, if he has prepared his own case as much as he can.

He should not try to get the hearing date delayed, there's no point.

ACAS. That is the next step. He'll be allocated a personal adviser who knows exactly what they're talking about. I speak from personal experience - and both my tribunals were actually settled in my favour before we even got to any hearing. I DID work hard on preparing a case in both instances though and acas could not have been more helpful. I could not afford legal representation but they were the next best thing. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,338 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If they didn't like your friend as an employee wouldn't they want them to get another job and go away?  So seems little point in a needlessly poor reference.
    If the company has more than 250 employees they need to publish their gender pay gap.  Is the employer this large?

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If they didn't like your friend as an employee wouldn't they want them to get another job and go away?  So seems little point in a needlessly poor reference.
    If the company has more than 250 employees they need to publish their gender pay gap.  Is the employer this large?

And most references these days simply confirm that a person actually worked at X Corp.  Not that they were employee of the month or not.  Or whether they were liked or disliked.

re the gender pay gap - I know I'm likely to be corrected by 1 bit of information but in general the pay gap is in favour of men, not women potentially even in roles that are more traditionally considered "women's jobs" (nursing etc).  So unlikely it's true that he's been paid less because of his gender.  (yes - sweeping statement...)   Whether the same can be said of the individual's race will depend on what race/nationality he is.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback