Tv driving us crazy

Options
"we purchased a 65"tv from curry's pc world through my husbands perks at work scheme on march 2021 but over the past 4 weeks there has been an extremely annoying high pitch noi3coming from the back of tv. We went back to curry's and stated that we would like a repair or replacement for tv as we have expectation of life of product anx they said as its past one year we have to deal with manufacturers as regards fault thats occured but this may incur costs, is this correct? I dont think i should have to pay to get a tv repaired so soon after purchase if fault has arisen through no fault of hours. 

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 December 2022 at 5:18PM
    Options
    "we purchased a 65"tv from curry's pc world through my husbands perks at work scheme on march 2021 but over the past 4 weeks there has been an extremely annoying high pitch noi3coming from the back of tv. We went back to curry's and stated that we would like a repair or replacement for tv as we have expectation of life of product anx they said as its past one year we have to deal with manufacturers as regards fault thats occured but this may incur costs, is this correct? I dont think i should have to pay to get a tv repaired so soon after purchase if fault has arisen through no fault of hours. 
    Yes, it's sort of correct.  After almost two years they're entitled to ask for evidence of the fault, and that the fault is inherent - something to do with manufacturing or design error - before they're obliged to help.  However, you don't have to deal with the manufacturer.  If you can get a report to show that the fault is not one arising from fair wear and tear, or misuse, then Currys have to act.  They will also have to refund any cost of inspection you incur.  They have the choice of repair, replacement or refund.  You're not entitled to new-for-old, so if they replace or refund, they can reduce the cost to reflect the use you've had of the TV to date.

P.S. the perks at work scheme may complicate things slightly.  How exactly was it purchased?  By voucher?  If so, Currys can refund via voucher.
  • Leeannl2003
    Options
    It was an e-voucher emailed to husband for £449 that he paid in instalments of his wages every month for 12 months. 
  • Leeannl2003
    Options
    How do i get this proof though, im stuck on were to go next for help
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    It was an e-voucher emailed to husband for £449 that he paid in instalments of his wages every month for 12 months. 
    I suspect that if they accept a fault exists and a partial refund is due, that refund will be in store credit or voucher form.

How do i get this proof though, im stuck on were to go next for help
    A couple of choices here.  One is to approach the manufacturer as Currys has suggested.  The other is to contact a local TV repairman.

All of the above assumes you want to exercise your statutory consumer rights.  Any chance the TV came with a manufacturer's warranty of at least two years?  That might be another route if the terms of that warranty are reasonable.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your husband will have been sent an e-receipt from Currys when he bought the TV.
    However, Currys don't seem to be disputing where or when you bought it.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your statutory rights under CRA 2015 are with the retailer, and are more limited after 21 months-you will have to prove a pre-existing fault, by way of an independent engineer's report.
    Have you checked the manufacturer's warranty though? Some brands offer a 2 year warranty, What brand is it?
    Next time, stay away from DSG and buy from JL or Richer Sounds, who will give you a 5 or 6 year warranty.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you think this TV should reasonably be expected to last more than two years, you need to do some research on the fault and how long it should last.
    You need to go back to the retailer, but you could ask the manufacturer if they are happy that their TV only lasted two years.
    It could be a simple repair for a recommended repair agent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback