AA Batteries

edited 12 December 2022 at 9:27AM in Praise, vent & warnings
7 replies 661 views
nick8999nick8999 Forumite
1 Post
edited 12 December 2022 at 9:27AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Is there a reason why battery manufacturers can get away with describing their products as long life, extra long life, super, best ever. These are meaningless, battery’s have measurable capacities in mA. You would not expect to buy any other measurable product in this way

Replies

• edited 9 December 2022 at 4:13PM
    Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 December 2022 at 4:13PM
    nick8999 said:
    Is there a reason why battery manufacturers can get away with describing their products as long life, extra long life, super, best ever. These are meaningless, battery’s have measurable capacities in mA. You would not expect to buy any other measurable product in this way
    mAh.  mA is not a measure of capacity.

They "get away with it" precisely because the terms you give as examples are all relative so as much as they are meaningless, they're also not incorrect.

Plenty of other measurable products are sold that way.  S/M/L/XL on clothes, for example.  None of those sizes is universally defined but the items themselves are measurable (and measurements are often stated alongside the sizing).  Broadband is another, with providers using terms like "superfast", "extreme", "lightning fast" to describe enormous variations in maximum speeds when typical speeds might be nowhere near them.
  • DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    nick8999 said:
    You would not expect to buy any other measurable product in this way
    Absolutely you do... many things have mesurable and yet they are sold on marketing slogans instead. Tesla, and other EVs, do a "Long Range" and "Performance" versions but they are all terms relative to the base model.  Matches (length), torches (brightness), clothing (size), flour (protein level), shoes (width) etc 

Getting words like "Extra" into the name is emotive and influences customer behaviour... long list of numbers tend to be a turn off
  • cannugec5cannugec5 Forumite
    246 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Long life milk. 
    Still goes off just as quick once opened. 
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    “Which” have done extensive tests on batteries.  Some are better than others.  How long they last is often related to price but that’s not guaranteed.  The very cheapest are often rubbish.  I bought some in IKEA once, they were ridiculously cheap and lasted a ridiculously short length of time.  

If I want advice/help on batteries I’ll ask my house mate.  He worked as a technician for Ever Ready for donkeys years  :)
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    10K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Also what they are used in makes a difference.
    Blink Camera's
    Use Alkaline can be looking at months at best, use lithium & it can be up to 2 years. All depending on usage.
    Life in the slow lane
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    cannugec5 said:
    Long life milk. 
    Still goes off just as quick once opened. 

Not in my experience.  Keep it in the fridge and it lasts for ages.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • MnoeeMnoee Forumite
    625 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I use rechargeable ones, which do have the capacity listed online - but given it costs so little to recharge them, it's hardly a big deal. If you're annoyed about battery capacity often, you probably use enough to warrant splashing out on the initial cost of a charger and a stack of rechargeable ones. Both eco friendly and money saving!