Disabled Benefits I might claim

Hi I am planning going down to a two day week so I can look after my son when he leaves school. I will earn around £280 a week once I drop down to a shorter week. 
At the moment he his on full DLA allowance.
I was wondering if he might be entitled to other benefits or if I could claim for any benefits.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    How old is your son?

Depending on your household circumstances you may be eligible for some UC. You can use a benefits calculator to check.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    Unless you have a health condition yourself then you won't be entitled to any disability benefits. As you'll be earning £280/week then this is outside the maximum earnings for you to be able to claim carers allowance.
    You can check entitlement to Universal Credit for yourself. As it's means tested if you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded form claiming. Use benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=79ce3604-7092-461f-8c4d-eecf60bb314a
    Once your son leaves school he will be able to claim Universal Credit but he will need a fit note from his GP and he will need to report his health condition. This will then start the work capability assessment process off. As we are only in December, when is your son leaving school? Will he be attending college?

• JC2005
    JC2005 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your reply’s, he is 17 at the moment, I should also say we live in Scotland.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You/he will need to apply for PIP at the age of 18, be aware claiming DLA doesnt automatically means PIP will be approved.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    peteuk said:
    You/he will need to apply for PIP at the age of 18, be aware claiming DLA doesnt automatically means PIP will be approved.

As Scotland are moving to Adult Disability Payment (ADP) then he maybe invited to apply for that instead of PIP. https://www.mygov.scot/changes-to-disability-living-allowance-dla-for-adults
    JC2005 said:
    Thanks for your reply’s, he is 17 at the moment,

Whilst he remains in full time education he will not be able to claim UC in his own right. If he leaves full time education i assume that won't be until the Summer?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback