🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Off the grid blues

Options
No one seems to offer much info for those of us who are living off grid. In my case this means I have a park home, about which there is a lot of ignorance and some minimal stigma. There are many thousands like me, almost all are getting on in years and many need a lot of support and advice dealing with often unscrupulous landlords and sometimes apparent indifference.
So for me I need to know the answer to a couple of questions. If I cannot afford to pay my electricity bill can my supplier ( IE my landlord ) cut off my supply. To explain we have no direct relationship with the supplier of electricity. The site owner or landlord, has an account with a supplier, and is legally obliged to provide the infrastructure for, and meter the supply to each individual pitch ( or plot upon which a home is sited )
Most people cannot be cut off in cases of financial hardship but are generally offered a pre payment meter. Where do we park home owners stand in this situation.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does your lease or contract say about this?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    There must be a trigger behind your questions?

Has the park owner/landlord increased site fees, increased kWh price on electricity (presuming you have gas bottles for gas)

• Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The park owner will have a commercial tariff and will have to pay for all energy used on the site. They install sub-meters to each pitch and bill in arrears for individual supply. 

I would think if you don't pay for what you have used, you will be in breach of contract and the details of what would happen in this situation should be detailed in your contract.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport