Appealing a credit card application decline?

Hi,

Has anyone here ever appealed a credit card decision and what was the outcome?

What was it that led you to appeal that you feel wasn’t considered or would make a difference to your appeal?

Thanks

Comments

• blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I've never tried to appeal a negative decision. I've only ever had one rejection, and didn't bother to appeal it. I didn't think it worth the effort, and wasn't really that bothered about it. In any case, I'm pretty sure that it was because I hadn't lived at the relevant address for very long, and that was an unarguable fact.

You don't stand a chance without knowing the reason for the rejection, and you're likely to find it somewhere between hard and impossible to get any meaningful (i.e., specific enough) answer from the lender on that point. The lender is under no obligation to tell you why. If they do, it's likely to be something vague like "you don't meet our criteria". Each will set their own criteria, and they aren't published: it is, after all, commercially sensitive information.

You might find this article helpful.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi Op

The loses I got is as posted on MSE a few days and a few weeks ago.
    We decided to rejoin barcalycar and been with barclays ban for over 35 yrs - we have the premier account and stopped works years ago at 55

The new cc only had a credit of 3k we wanted it a lot higher, we applied online but heard nothing then we tried again, nothing - so i rang barcaly premier they said they do not contact delines that was weeks ago but to my surpise a couple of weeks ago we got a letter saying they have approved the 9k-h but doing final checks but we could speed up by texting back a could, we did not as we have other cards.

Not the same but imo it was the phone call and the lady said she would email their cc dept.

Thanks
  • Yes, got declined by Tesco and it was overturned on appeal

Always worth asking for an explanation if it does not add up, I did it as all I had at the time was a car loan with no other debt with a clean history so could not see a reason why.

Staff were helpful and approachable, other companies might not be so helpful
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    bambilegs said:
    Hi,

Has anyone here ever appealed a credit card decision and what was the outcome?

What was it that led you to appeal that you feel wasn’t considered or would make a difference to your appeal?

Thanks
    Only once bothered to appeal, applied for a mid tier Capital One card and was declined. Usual thing of check your credit record.

So appealed with a copy of my credit record (asking them to highlight the issue if it were still a decline) and they later phoned me saying they'd made an error, i could have the card I'd applied for with a £10k limit or they could approve a £12.5k limit on a higher product
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback