Probate in 8 weeks

Options
Hi. I've submitted by probate application and they said that it can take them up to 8 weeks to process it. Assuming I've done the form correctly and they don't have any queries, how realistic is the 8 week timescale given? 

Comments

• shiraz99
    shiraz99 Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi. I've submitted by probate application and they said that it can take them up to 8 weeks to process it. Assuming I've done the form correctly and they don't have any queries, how realistic is the 8 week timescale given? 

Mine was 6 weeks. As long as it's uncomplicated and nothing to query it should be within timescales.
  • Dave_5150
    Dave_5150 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your 8 weeks includes Xmas / new year bank holidays and possibly some postal strikes / delays. My application took 14 weeks to approved for a simple estate earlier this year.

As you've seen from the two responses there's no guarantees on timescales.  

• CaptainWales
    Options
    Thanks both. What sort of thing would make it complicated? As far as I worked out there was no IHT to pay.
  • shiraz99
    shiraz99 Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks both. What sort of thing would make it complicated? As far as I worked out there was no IHT to pay.
    Anything they would have to query.
  • CaptainWales
    Options
    Ah, ok. Never made an application before so really hoping there won't be any queries. 
  • msb1234
    msb1234 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No queries when I submitted my mum’s probate application - took about 10 weeks in total for a very small straightforward estate.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    msb1234 said:
    No queries when I submitted my mum’s probate application - took about 10 weeks in total for a very small straightforward estate.
    Small?  I thought most probate applications were for amounts over £50,000?
  • Devongardener
    Options
    Last October we got probate for our Mother’s estate in 2 weeks.  My brother and I spent a long time double checking every box and answer on the form, leaving nothing blank.  We had a lawyer friend check it too and he picked up on the fact that we had put zero for personal effects as Mum was in a care home and we had sold her house and furniture 2 years before.  He said that a 90 year old lady would have at some jewellery etc, so we entered  figure of £750 for mainly low value jewellery.  We worked very hard gathering all the end value of her many investments and was worth the effort.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pennylane said:
    msb1234 said:
    Small?  I thought most probate applications were for amounts over £50,000?
    Yes, but they don't need to be for that amount. It's possible that relatively low value items might require probate.

• samuela66
    samuela66 Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

It took them 8 weeks to email me to tell me I had not sent the original will in, I thought I had, so apparently, I now have another 8 week wait now I have sent the new one in
    Sam B
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure