Woodford return of capital transactions - puzzled?

AgedAged Forumite
394 Posts
Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I heard on the grapevine that another payout was made recently, but I received no letters or messages about it. On examining my retirement account on the pension provider's website, I can see two transactions described as 'return of capital' which practically cancel each other out. There is also a purchase pending (which was not authorised by me) to buy units in one of the other funds that I currently hold. Is this common practice? I expected the cash to be simply credited back to my account. There is no option that I can see to approve or clear this pending transaction - it's just sitting there in limbo.

Replies

• edited 2 December 2022 at 6:52PM
    ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2022 at 6:52PM
    It's a Return of Capital Corporate Action with no option for you to elect so no letter required (although you should probably get a notification pointing you at the CA in your documents)
    Many pensions have no facility to hold cash so it would be reinvested. There may also be a Standing Order to automatically reinvest cash. It is very unlikely that it would be paid out to your bank account as you may be too young, may cause you tax problems etc
    This is the 5th return of capital so I would have thought you would have seen this 4 times in the past
  • edited 2 December 2022 at 7:57PM
    AgedAged Forumite
    394 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2022 at 7:57PM
    ColdIron said:
    It's a Return of Capital Corporate Action with no option for you to elect so no letter required (although you should probably get a notification pointing you at the CA in your documents)
    Many pensions have no facility to hold cash so it would be reinvested. There may also be a Standing Order to automatically reinvest cash. It is very unlikely that it would be paid out to your bank account as you may be too young, may cause you tax problems etc
    This is the 5th return of capital so I would have thought you would have seen this 4 times in the past
    I didn't go into as much detail in the past as I do now, so I probably wouldn't have noticed. I now keep a model of my portfolio on one of the online tools, and I reconcile them often to make sure they keep in step. I do remember getting letters with previous returns but as I said, nothing this time. I didn't expect it to go back into my bank account, just that it would be returned as cash within my pension account. Always learning!
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It probably depends on the type of pension. The typical workplace pension does not have a cash account as such. There maybe one just to handle the fees, but not for larger amounts.
  • AgedAged Forumite
    394 Posts
    Forumite
    It probably depends on the type of pension. The typical workplace pension does not have a cash account as such. There maybe one just to handle the fees, but not for larger amounts.
    It's not a workplace pension, it's a Quilter Collective Retirement Account which I am now managing myself. Cash is able to be held in the account, and a small amount of interest is payable on it.