CCJs and Joint Property

in Loans
3 replies 184 views
A relative has a joint mortgage on a house jointly owned with his ex-girl friend. Subsequent to their breakup, she took out a loan but due to circumstances has defaulted on it and has a CCJ awarded against her. The creditor wants full recompense and is going after the house which is the only asset she has. Can they do this as my relative has had no involvement with the loan


  • CatsacorCatsacor Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    The creditor can only have her percentage of that joint asset.
    Surely that joint asset has been sold if they've parted company ?
    First, take responsibility .....
  • DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    What was the basis of shared ownership?

    If its joint tenants then they each own it in its entirety and so if the lender gets a charge order (or manages to force the sale) then they only get the money to cover the debts/costs and the remainder gets passed back to them to share as they see fit/agree

    If its a Tenants in Common then the same can occur but they are capped at the percentage that the g/friend owned and you would get your full percentage
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    When you say the creditor is going after the house, I`m assuming you mean by way of a charging order.

    If the property is held jointly, they may still be able to obtain a charging order, although there are likely to be difficulties. 

    On the assumption that the debt is hers alone, the charging order will only apply to her share of the beneficial interest in the property. Whether they receive payment on a sale will depend even more on the level of equity in the property and amounts of any charges with priority over their charge.

    Ex MSE Board Guide.

    More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools