Police selling on eBay

dninjadninja Forumite
10 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Not a usually mse post but hoping someone can help with this.

I've got a friend who works for the police, she is always complaining about being skint and looking for sympathy, her latest claim is if she sells anything on eBay or Gumtree she has to declare it to work as a second income in case of conflict of interest.

Are there any police people on here who can confirm or deny this? It seems very odd but she is insistent.

Replies

• superstylinsuperstylin Forumite
    622 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    She would only have to declare it if she was selling enough to make a second income, not bits and bobs here and there. 
    "a workman, even of the lowest and poorest order, if he is frugal and industrious, may enjoy a greater share of the necessaries and conveniences of life than it is possible for any savage to acquire."
  • diystarter7diystarter7 Forumite
    4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi

If it's running as a business. Professionals in social services he to declar all other work inc business but not seeling your own odds and ends.

Thanks

Before you spend, remember the 
    MSE Money Mantras. Ask yourself, do I need it? Can I afford it? If the answer is NO to any of those questions, DON’T buy it.  (Quote from MSE  15/11/22)

Politeness & courtesy are some of the few things in life that are free. Please remember that when posting, I may ignore permanently the unpolite, tedious, unconstructive and deliberately obtuse comments. Many thanks.
  • edited 27 November 2022 at 7:06AM
    RonRamsgateRonRamsgate Forumite
    15 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2022 at 7:06AM
    We had to fill in a Notification of secondary business interests form and await a decision. If granted  its reviewed annually.

Knew so many with business interests and secondary employment from franchise owners To selling on the internet with no stock (DropShipping). Most were very successful.