Bankruptcy affecting those I live with when sofa crashing?

Hey folks,

I’ve had financial advice and I’m close to filing for bankruptcy as it’s the best option given situation but I wondered…

I am currently living on my friends sofa as I am fleeing DV and have nowhere to live or finances to fix that.

I’ve only just come out to them abiut my situation needing to go bankrupt. Thankfully they’d re supportive but worried it might affect them.

They are renting a house from a letting agent so I’m not officially meant to be here. So I made an account to file for bankruptcy but they want my address and I’m worried that even though I’m not living here and they aren’t subletting, that the receiver might tell their letting agency in here.

is that possible? 

I want to be honest and lay everything on the table but I don’t want them to lose their rental… I’m willing to put myself on the streets first before I allow that to happen but is it too late when making the application with their address or will recieve give me the option to leave here before it’s fully submitted etc?

I know I can register to have the address not published because I don’t want perpetrator to find me even if it’s a small risk. 

I can’t move in with family while doing this as I don’t have any.

Any tips and advice?


  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

    It is possible to go bankrupt if you are homeless:

    • if you have a correspondence address, put that in and under “Do you own the property?” select “other” and say “correspondence address”
    • if you don’t have an address you can use for correspondence enter “‘no fixed abode’ into the ‘First line’ field and ‘x’ into all the other address lines. Make sure you are providing a valid email address and a contact telephone number as a back-up to the email address.

  • If you are fleeing DV, you can approach the local authority that you have a local connection with, i.e. where you can evidence that you lived for the last couple of years. They will place you away from that borough in temporary accommodation. You do not need to disclose you are bankrupt to them, it makes no difference if you are fleeing DV.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The bankruptcy is for a named person, and not an address. Everyone has their own credit history - your bankruptcy will not have any impact whatsoever on the credit history of the friends you are staying with. As has been mentioned above - when you apply - list it as a correspondence address. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,802 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You give your address status as homeless, and give the address of the place you are staying as a contact/correspondence address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- The "provit letter" is here-
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. Before filing for bankruptcy it might be a good idea to see if you can get help for your homeless situation. You will be feeling very vulnerable, having escaped domestic violence and you really need to have some breathing and thinking time before jumping straight into a bankruptcy. You need to stop and think. 

    People suffering from DV can get help and there's some information on the government's website here -

    And there is a lot of information here -

    And there's information in this link about what to do if you have had no alternative but to make yourself homeless because of DV. You do have some rights when you are in that situation.

    If you do decide to go ahead and file for bankruptcy once your living situation has been sorted out (people WILL help you if you know where to go for the help) - then you could contact one of the free debt help agencies - StepChange or National Debtline or Citizens Advice.

    I always recommend StepChange because they helped me to get out of debt when I was in a terrible state. 

    They will discuss all your problems with you and they are confidential, non-judgemental and extremely helpful. If they recommend a bankruptcy for you, they will help you to achieve it. If not they will help you to find an alternative.

    But I do urge you not to act in haste. 

    Please do seek help first of all for your living situation. Your friends are very kind and I'm sure their landlord won't mind you staying with them for a short time but in the long term, filing for bankruptcy while you are living with them would not be advised.

    I do hope that some of the information here is helpful - and I hope that your situation improves. You have managed to remove yourself from the DV and now you just need to start rebuilding your life. I wish you all the very best for the future.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are concerned about an address being published you can apply for a PARV order (person at risk of violence) and your address will be redacted from the insolvency register. 

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards