Refund on college fees

Hi all, I've got an ongoing complaint with the OIA regarding a university centre course I completed earlier this year, and I'm now being told there is the possibility of a settlement which could include a refund of the course fees. 

As I took out a student loan these fees would go back to the loan company which is great (I'm not earning enough to pay back yet but still good to know the overall debt could be reduced!), but my question is I also took the maintenance loan and wondering if the repayment of the fees would in any way affect the maintenance loan eg would the loan company then also expect me to pay this back immediately? 

The OIA couldnt advise me, I've tried speaking to the loan company (lovely Indian lady) but they didnt understand anything I was talking about. I've contacted the college but (no surprise) no response. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I dont want to opt for a settlement that actually means then being hit with a massive bill from the loan company! Many thanks for any advice! 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,750
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    OIA = office of the independent adjudicator. Slc= student loan company.

If you completed the course, I can’t see any reason for the slc to demand repayment. Also I would have thought that the OIA would be aware of the hardship that would be caused if their rulings resulted in an automatic repayment call from the slc.

Only my opinion. It’s a shame if the OIA does repay in this way, though I can understand why it does, because all it means is that your total loan will be lower. Your repayments are the same. If you don’t become a high earner and end up repaying all your working life you won’t have gained anything by the ruling. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback