MSE News: Energy price cap to rise in January – your energy rates could change slightly

Options

Comments

• mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Options

EdF's rate card has all the E7 rates on, and is after the EPG.  You don't need to do any subtractions.

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/government_energy_price_guarantee_prices._standard_variable_deemed_and_welcome._credit_meters.pdf
    Thanks - wasn't there when I looked, just the pre-discount rates.

Basically confirms that EDF E7 customers will on average pay more in January than they are now because the increase in the underlying E7 Ofgem price cap is bigger than the Government EPG discount. But because of the way that EDF have applied the EPG discount, the amount your bill changes by will depend on your day/night split. In my case, I expect my bill to be about 4.6% down because my use is heavily weighted to night time use and night time rates have gone down.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Options
    mmmmikey said:

EdF's rate card has all the E7 rates on, and is after the EPG.  You don't need to do any subtractions.

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/government_energy_price_guarantee_prices._standard_variable_deemed_and_welcome._credit_meters.pdf
    Thanks - wasn't there when I looked, just the pre-discount rates.

Basically confirms that EDF E7 customers will on average pay more in January than they are now because the increase in the underlying E7 Ofgem price cap is bigger than the Government EPG discount. But because of the way that EDF have applied the EPG discount, the amount your bill changes by will depend on your day/night split. In my case, I expect my bill to be about 4.6% down because my use is heavily weighted to night time use and night time rates have gone down.

So have your rates diverged?  Day up and night down?
  • mmmmikey
    Options

Yes:

E7 night rate for DD customer in East Midlands after EPG = 5.88p/kWh (down from 6.90p/kWh)
    E7 day rate after EPG = 51.92p/kWh (up from 47.31p/kWh)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    mmmmikey said:

Yes:

E7 night rate for DD customer in East Midlands after EPG = 5.88p/kWh (down from 6.90p/kWh)

Not what I expected at all, but good to have clarification.
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    The next challenge is working out what it means for April 2023 prices, but I think I need to lie down for a bit before I think about that :smile:
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    mmmmikey said:

Yes:

I am not with EDF - but thanks for reporting these figures and the links to EDF.

EDF ahead of EON - they appear to have now provided both discounted and actual Ofgem Cap prices - for SR, E7 and from the same EPG page links on EPG E10 / other complex metering.

For SR/ E7 after EPG

For SR/E7 Pre EPG based on Ofgem

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/ofgem_default_tariff_cap_prices._standard_variable_deemed_and_welcome_-_credit.pdf

Am I correct the above tables are the right pairing to work out applied discount splits for E7 ?

• Officer_Dibble
    Options
    I'd love to know how EDF work out their prices. Actually, if I saw the workings I probably wouldn't. I imagine there must be a fair bit of history mixed with current usage statistics with a bit of witchcraft on top.

We're within a few doors of the London/South East dividing line, and the E7 Off Peak price changes from 14.56p/kWh to 6.79p on the border. Then there's the massive differentials for PAYG/Cash Cheque/DD, but differences that vary hugely between regions. Presumably smaller changes in their tariffs have been ampified by the EPG, but the end results do look a little odd.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• genericn17
    Options
    I got my email from Bulb today - on economy 7 and both my day rate and my night rate are going up by 8%. I am displeased. Especially as my house isn't even warm after all that.
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2022 at 9:01PM
    Options
    I also received my email from Eon Next.
    Both my day and night rates are also increasing, the night rate is going up by over 16%. Does that really qualify as "could rise slightly"?
    I see other posters have had rates diverge, but even each other out. It doesn't seem fair that some customers should see both rates rise, resulting in some cases, large increases. I'm looking at circa £400 annual increase from January.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    paul_h said:
    I also received my email from Eon Next.
    Both my day and night rates are also increasing, the night rate is going up by over 16%. Does that really qualify as "could rise slightly"?
    I see other posters have had rates diverge, but even each other out. It doesn't seem fair that some customers should see both rates rise, resulting in some cases, large increases. I'm looking at circa £400 annual increase from January.

Broadly, it seems to be based on whether the day & night rates are quite similar or very different that determines whether both parts go up or one goes up and one goes down.  There's probably a bit of regional thing too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback